Original topic:

Can't RENAME PHOTOS and VIDEOS :(

(Topic created on: 1/17/21 2:00 PM)
user0UVCdUKzaC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Please.... Samsung if you're reading this.... give us back the ability to rename our photos in the Gallery on our S20 phones.

Gary... a loyal customer 

10 Replies
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

I'm just wondering how important renaming pics is?  I know many people like that feature... I've never done that ever.   Is it to locate your pics?  Btw, one can easily rename pics by going into  samsung my files and renaming them... I just can't see myself wanting/needing to do that.  - - Maybe I can learn something here as to why I should be doing that more... Thanks!

Diaboyos
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
I have over 1000 files on my phone. In order to find what I need I must use search. In order for search to function the files must be named correctly. We can use the file manager to rename the files but why would they make their users use a separate program than the one they view the files in? It makes zero sense to remove the rename function in a gallery app. Especially since they've now said it was an intentional move and not a mistake.
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks for your explanation as to how you use the rename function. I just know how tedious it can be to rename 30 -50 pics that one happens to take at an event. I'm not a pro and normally don't take that many pics, but I'd much rather tag a whole group of pics by an event name, or date or person than trying to rename lots of pics... the latter can take a long time; tagging pics can be done in a few minutes easily in the Gallery.

I would be interested in hearing how people are backing up their pics. Obviously the gallery is just for one's phone... what are you using for backups. Just curious...
0 Likes
Diaboyos
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
For events or something like that you could use a folder or a batch renamer so you wouldn't have to rename one at a time.

I backup to my pc. I don't use cloud services.
userw7tBXZD0IZ
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I mainly edit when I know I am going to want to find it again, like receipes I have saved. it is a nightmare now trying to trawl through to get the one I want

DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

Have you used Google Photos?  You can very easily put pics in folders/albums, such as Recipes, Family, Friends, Hobby, etc.... - - and then they are pretty easy to find.  I like Diaboyos idea of using Simple Gallery Pro to change a name if you want before grouping them in an album or even grouping them in Samsung Gallery with keywords/tags... then If you're looking for a great recipe, go to Recipe folder (or Recipes tag in Gallery) and easily find that recipe along with your others... or just search for the name of the recipe and not even go to the album/folder.  - - These are just ideas to get us by until Samsung corrects the change they made to their Gallery app.  

Btw, thanks to Diaboyos' tip, I picked up Simple Gallery Pro to change names easily... it doesn't do tags, but you can make tags in the Samsung Gallery app...

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
I found another gallery app that has many more features than Samsung Gallery. Here's the free version but there's also a pro version with even more features for only one dollar.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.gallery
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks for sharing that! Do you know if that app allows you to add tags?
Diaboyos
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
I couldn't find tags but there's a LOT of settings and I could have overlooked it. Or that may be an added feature in the $1 pro version.
0 Likes