I have a two year old, AT&T cobranded Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, which as of today (4/30/22) can no longer make or receive phone calls:
- When I try to dial out, the phone immediately goes to "call ended", as if I hung up
- Incoming calls don't go through at all. Moreover, the call hears that my mailbox isn't set up. Normally, I used Google Voice for voicemail, and that had been working fine until today
- All other features, including data over wireless and SMS, work perfectly fine. That is, these work fine when WiFi and Bluetooth are disabled, so it's definitely connecting over the AT&T network
Troubleshooting thus far:
- Tried rebooting the phone, going into safe mode, refreshing the connection from att.com/support
- The phone and all apps are running the latest versions available - no updates pending
- I removed the Google Voice app in case it was causing any issues
- I tried using the MMI codes (e.g., ##61#) to disable forwarding to Google Voice, but get a connection error (801) when sending the code
- Spoke with customer service on the phone and went through all their troubleshooting steps, including resetting network settings. He eventually suggested I replace the SIM
- Went to at AT&T store and bought a new SIM, which didn't help. They did mention they have had other customers in this week with similar problems with other Samsung phones. However, I can't seem to find anything by Googling around
- SMS and data work perfectly fine over the AT&T network (when disconnected from WiFi and Bluetooth) but still cannot make or receive calls
- Tried everything I can think of short of a full factory reset
- My wife's phone on the same AT&T account, and my work-provided AT&T phone, all work normally from this. I've never had any connection issues in the past in this location
- Phone shows 5 bars for signal strength, and connected to a 5Ge network
- From the SIM card status menu, Mobile Network State = Connected, Service State = In Service, Mobile voice network type = LTE
- Phone = AT&T co-branded, network locked, SM-G988U
The guys at the AT&T store suggested waiting for AT&T or Samsung to push out a fix for the issue, since other people have had the same problem. They said when they contacted the AT&T home office, the person they spoke with said they were aware of the issue. However, I haven't been able to find anything online about it - you'd figure if it was a fairly widespread issue, there'd be forum posts or news about it somewhere.
Any suggestions on next steps? Full factory reset isn't really an option - I'd sooner buy a new phone and make sure I've transferred everything successfully before wiping my current one.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Yeah, the new SIM on my personal account in my work phone was not working; the work SIM in my personal phone was.
With that info, I figured I'll try AT&T support again, since now I know it's something on their side... and lo and behold I got someone who knew how to fix it. He re-enabled Voice over LTE... and yeah it works fine now 😛
Thanks for your help! Glad I got it working again, without taking up your entire evening :). I'll monitor it to see what's happening, but hopefully it's good to go now.