cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Can we get a notification sound shut off button?

So my wife's samsung s9 and my old iPhone 8+ both have a side button (power button) that allows the user to shut the sound off on an incoming notification. This is great for when we forget to put it on do not disturb and find ourselves in church or a meeting when the phone goes off.

My new Samsung s20 ultra does not seem to have this feature. I called Samsung support and they could not tell me how to make my new phone do that either.

If there is a way to do this, could someone please tell me. If not, samsung, please make an update to fix this issue.

THANKS

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Can we get a notification sound shut off button?

When you receive a phone call if you press the volume down key on the right-hand side does it mute the sound for the incoming notification?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

No it dose not. And that is what is frustrating.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you checked to see if your phone's software is up to date? How long has this been occurring?

You should be able to silence the sound using any of the buttons on the side of the phone. I was able to test it with a phone here and power/bixby, volume up, and volume down all stoped the ringtone sound when a call was coming in.

Another method of doing this is turning on easy mute in settings.

Go to settings > advanced features > motions and gestures > turn on easy mute

This will allow you to either wave your hand over the phone or turn the phone over to silence a call coming in.

Let me know if this helped!

Highlighted
Astronaut

Neither the volume buttons nor the power button will stop the sound when i get a call or text message.

Highlighted
Constellation

Check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQY_iwtOa30

I was able to turn it off for my S20.

This is a short tutorial on how to disable the start up sound on the Galaxy S20.#galaxy #s20 #android #samsung
Highlighted
Constellation

I just found out today on my note20. You just press the notification app. Choose silent. That's it. There will be notification but no sound. If you want to block the notifications completely, just go to settings>notification>turn off