cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Cancel order and move on

That has been Samsung's policy in the past when their flagships cost $700-$1000 and there was no reason to believe Samsung would change that policy just because they raised their prices again. Samsung raises their prices every year and they want to force their customers to buy a new phone every two years. Unfortunately, the only Android brand that offers more than 2 Android version updates is Google which offers a grand total of 3 instead of 2. Since Samsung expects you to spend over a thousand dollars on a phone they only want to use for 2 years the most logical options are to buy a mid-priced phone instead or switch to iPhones which apparently receive updates for 5 years.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

This is exactly the complaint. As these phones also get more and more powerful (like computers), there is less reason to only use them for 2 years and then upgrade. Which is problematic for not only peoples wallets, but the environment.

I believe this is both Samsung's and Google's problem. Samsung for not investing in the support of their flagship products and Google for not making it easier to update. 

Google is working on trying to make it easier to have phones kept up to date due to consumer pressure, but still have a long way to go.

And now with other manufactures producing phones with similar specs to Samsung at a lesser cost, it is going to be hard for them to maintain even further.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

On a side note, one of the few reasons I haven't switched to Apple products is due to the lack of compelte repairability at all with all the shady practices they do there. I can at least source parts much easier for Android phones.

Also, the OS being more open for customization than iOS is makes switching to them harder.

It is just sad to get repairability, support of the product seems to be lost.

Highlighted
Constellation

You should also keep in mind that a current mid-priced phone in the $400-$500 range tends to be as powerful and have the same new features as a top of the line phone that came out 2 years earlier. Mid-priced phones are much nicer than many people in North America realize (every place outside North America mid-priced phones dominate the market) and they are more than powerful enough for 99% of smartphone owners.

Samsung Care Ambassador

@userQQHQoe49tl 

This is not new, and has been a known fact for years, but not getting major OS updates after two doesn't mean they stop security updates. I still have two Galaxy Tab S2s on Android 7 and they're still receiving security updates. And to be honest, with Nova Launcher, I don't even feed any difference between Androind 7 and newer versions.

I think they treat OS updates as yet another feature and a selling point for new devices. Yes, Google develops Android, but Samsung adds as lot of their own stuff on top of it, and many people actually feel like with One UI 2.0 or 2.1, it's better than stock Android. Personally I've never cared about this whole 2 major updates thing. I usually replace my phones before that support ends, and like I said, those older devices that I kept, are still getting security updates (maybe not as often, but they get them). And IMO there are many more reason to pick a device other than how many updates it will get or how fast it gets them.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

As a company that touts their security in a bid to get more enterprise contracts, security updates in a timely matter mean a lot. 

And the devices are far more than capable of lasting more than 2 years. For the amount of money they charge and the keep increasing their costs, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect them to take care of these flagship devices. 

And yeah, they might get security updates, but they are so slow if they get them at all. 

I understand it was like this, but now they are stating it outright. And because it was like that before is not a good excuse to have it keep being like that. 

Especially as there are more competitors that make devices that aren't that much different from Samsung flagship products. They weren't even the first to a folding phone either.

Highlighted
Constellation

The idea of Samsung wanting their customers to upgrade their phones every two years doesn't have anything to do with the technology becoming outdated--the longer customers hold on to their current devices instead of upgrading the less money Samsung makes. But that practice is completely repugnant when they are charging a small fortune for their phones (which have the second highest markup in the industry behind only Apple). North American consumers in particular are being fleeced by Samsung and Apple since they have a virtual duopoly in the North American market. Both companies sell obscenely overpriced phones that are easily 3-4 years behind Chinese brands like Huawei, Xiaomi and OPPO in terms of innovation but for most people in North America Samsung and Apple are the only two smartphone brands that even exist.