JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Cannot wake up screen when notification comes.

(Topic created on: 10/22/20 2:39 PM)
Members_IKktHdM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

When I received an incoming email from Gmail app, my S20 just vibrate. The screen didn't light up at all. Not even the Always On Display.

So, where can I find a setting to wake up lock screen when notifications come in? Mine is S20 (T-mobile) running on One UI 2.5.

I'm talking about settings for all apps, not just for native Samsung apps. I allowed notifications for all apps,  turned on Always on Display, Edge lighting (and turned off for experiment), turned off battery optimization. None of these settings seem to work for me.

Any suggestions other than installing third-party app?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Strixy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I know what you're talking about. I had this feature in my Pixel 1, 3 and 5 as well as my iPhone 8 and 10.

Maybe you've found a solution to this already, but I came across this post and frankly, I was already peeved even before I read that @Fosu929 non-answer. I might not have the perfect solution, but it's a sight better than that bs.

You can use the "Stay Awake" option in the hidden "Developer Options" to keep your screen on while charging. At least that way you can see your notifications without having to interact with your phone all the time.

One of the reasons that this is suboptimal is that the screen is truly always on (not in a bs Samsung definition of "always on". Also, this only works when charging via USB cable (when charging wirelessly it stops once the battery is full, another annoying "feature"). This means that if you have one of those jobs where you're not constantly at your desk, you're constantly plugging/unplugging the cable and that will eventually ruin the charging port.

I'll leave it to you to search out how to find and enable the secret "developer options" because along the way you will learn more about what they are and the potential security issues you are opening yourself up to by following this advice.

Frankly, I'm annoyed that there isn't a better way to do this especially considering it has been done on other phones; Android and Apple alike. Anyway, hope that helps. Cheers!

View solution in context

0 Likes
3 Replies
Fosu929
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
it's simple
0 Likes
Members_IKktHdM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Could you explain a little more, please? 

Solution
Strixy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I know what you're talking about. I had this feature in my Pixel 1, 3 and 5 as well as my iPhone 8 and 10.

Maybe you've found a solution to this already, but I came across this post and frankly, I was already peeved even before I read that @Fosu929 non-answer. I might not have the perfect solution, but it's a sight better than that bs.

You can use the "Stay Awake" option in the hidden "Developer Options" to keep your screen on while charging. At least that way you can see your notifications without having to interact with your phone all the time.

One of the reasons that this is suboptimal is that the screen is truly always on (not in a bs Samsung definition of "always on". Also, this only works when charging via USB cable (when charging wirelessly it stops once the battery is full, another annoying "feature"). This means that if you have one of those jobs where you're not constantly at your desk, you're constantly plugging/unplugging the cable and that will eventually ruin the charging port.

I'll leave it to you to search out how to find and enable the secret "developer options" because along the way you will learn more about what they are and the potential security issues you are opening yourself up to by following this advice.

Frankly, I'm annoyed that there isn't a better way to do this especially considering it has been done on other phones; Android and Apple alike. Anyway, hope that helps. Cheers!

View solution in context

0 Likes