cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Certain websites not loading on mobile network

Certain websites are not loading when I am on the mobile network. When I switch to wifi the websites connect. A message will say DNS not found. Diagnosing the problem. This is using samsung internet and also happened with Chrome. I have 2 s20 ultra 5g and it is only happening with this one. 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Certain websites not loading on mobile network

are you using private DNS? if so some sites won't load. especially if it's a Google search with the (*AD) tag.
Highlighted
Constellation

I haven't changed any settings to the phone since I got it.
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you don't have any manual DNS configured, it looks like the DNS used by your carrier may be broken or blocking that address.

When you use Wifi, it is using the DNS provided by the Wifi router/network. When you use cellular, you are using the DNS provided by your carrier. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Can I configure a manual DNS to work on the mobile network or is it just the carrier DNS used? if so I'm guessing this is a carrier tech call not a device tech call?
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@j0e107 wrote:
Can I configure a manual DNS to work on the mobile network or is it just the carrier DNS used? if so I'm guessing this is a carrier tech call not a device tech call?

Yes you can. https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/26/make-android-use-dns-server-choice/ 

Highlighted
Constellation

so I changed the dns and it worked. would there be a reason one phone I have needed this change and the other identical phone doesn't? also is there a disadvantage to using a private dns? thanks for your help
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

No disadvantage. Often the private DNS are faster than carrier's servers. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Again, thanks for your help!