JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Charging Port Stopped Working

(Topic created: 10-26-2021 04:14 PM)
Tony857
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

The USB-C port on my one year old Galaxy S20+ 5G has failed. The phone will not charge, it will not recognize Headphones, it will not recognize Android Auto. It does charge wirelessly. I rarely use the Charging port so this is Frustrating. It's been a Slow decline, it started as periodically stopping and starting charging while plugged in. 

I have reset the phone and cleaned the charging port. I have had this happen on all my previous Samsung phones with USB-C. 

Am I the only one who has a constant problem with Samsung's USB-C port? 

MODEL NUMBER: SM-G986U1

Carrier is Verizon 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userETdWGWAKA0
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
USB C is by far the best charging port out there. I have like 6 devices that I use daily and have been ever since Samsung switched over to it. My guess is that there's some debree like pocket lint of whatnot down deep and everytime you push it in to charge its smashing it down even worse keeping it from seating in properly. Take a bright flashlight and magnifying glass and look down in there. Just don't stick anything metal down there like tweezers without turning phone off first and even then be careful not to damage the inside. But I would suggest trying some of that canned air spray with tiny plastic straw and try to blow it out. I'll attach picture of mine inside so you can compare what yours looks like to mine. Hope this helps. If not I'd take it to phone repair shop or even a Samsung store. A new charging port is easy to replace

View solution in context

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S20
No my sister has the s20+ and had the same problem. She has insurance with at&t and they had to repair it
userVF5J3avAJ2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
I have the S21+ no issues with charging port I've also owened several other Galaxy phone's and knock wood never had any issues but I'm on AT&T
0 Likes
Jetster
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20
It depends on quite a few factors: If you've gotten your phone off of 3rd party companies like Ebay, If the charging port is clean, if you've recently damaged it, or it has been repaired badly.
0 Likes
Tony857
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
All my phones have been New from Verizon. My S20+ 5G is 13 months old. I've used the USB-C port maybe 15 times total. I have several other USB-C products, headphones, tablets none have had a single problem. Only my Galaxy phones.
0 Likes
Solution
userETdWGWAKA0
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
USB C is by far the best charging port out there. I have like 6 devices that I use daily and have been ever since Samsung switched over to it. My guess is that there's some debree like pocket lint of whatnot down deep and everytime you push it in to charge its smashing it down even worse keeping it from seating in properly. Take a bright flashlight and magnifying glass and look down in there. Just don't stick anything metal down there like tweezers without turning phone off first and even then be careful not to damage the inside. But I would suggest trying some of that canned air spray with tiny plastic straw and try to blow it out. I'll attach picture of mine inside so you can compare what yours looks like to mine. Hope this helps. If not I'd take it to phone repair shop or even a Samsung store. A new charging port is easy to replace
Tony857
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks. That was the problem. Dust build-up at base of the port. I needed to clean the USB-C port. I needed a very Bright light and very powerful magnifiying glass just to see it. I started with Compressed Air, but it was so compacted nothing shook loose. I then used a plastic Dental pick to loosen the dust. Then compressed air. I repeated that several times. I can still see a bit of debris but I'm nervous about getting too aggressive. The port works with the Charging cable, headphones, and Android Auto.

I rarely use the USB-C port so I'm going to buy a Dust Plug from Amazon and hopefully keep this from happening again.
0 Likes
userETdWGWAKA0
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
Best I could do20211027_021206_12313.jpg20211027_020543_12310.jpg
0 Likes
Stephanie Nikki
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S20

Honestly if troubleshooting has not helped, and the port will not recognize any cables, repairs would indeed be recommended. You are welcome to give us a call directly at 1-800-726-7864 in order to discuss your repair options. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes