JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Continually dropping WiFi

(Topic created: 12-13-2020 01:44 PM)
userjlY15DDHyd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Starting about a day ago, my S20 won't stay connected to wifi.  It is not the router because all other devices connect.  My son who also has an S20 said he is having the same problem.  I have restarted my device, cleared the app cache, reset network settings. And lastly factory reset the device.  The problem persists. Was this the result of a recent update?  Will it be corrected?

18 Replies
Solution
pullenuk
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

We have discovered on the NOTE 20 that 

Go to Settings -> Location -> Google Location Accuracy

Turn off

Fixes the issue. Perhaps you all on the S20 could try and same and see if that works for you? If it does, then turn it back on and see if it causes the problems again. If it does, then the S20 is affected in the same way as the Note 20. Submit a report to Samsung since that is a bug we can all repeat.

userjlY15DDHyd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Thank you pullenuk.  This seems to have fixed the issue with both my son's and my device.  I'll give it a few more days before "accepting as solution" just in case.

0 Likes
user9GKoGwAxSA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
No, this does NOT resolve the issue for many/most devices, even with the Dec 2020 update, and also compromises functionality required for some apps such as contract tracing etc. This is a bug that only Samsung can resolve.
0 Likes
mgs3_78
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

My S20+ is also continually dropping WiFi.  Turning off the google location accuracy  solves the problem, but this causes other problems.  Most importantly, the CoVid tracking app for the area I live in needs Google Location accuracy to work as does Google maps.  So everytime I go outside I need to remember to turn it back on.  While not needed, when taking pictures I'm always asked to turn it back on and I've missed several photos because of this.  I've had the phone since April and the problems only started a couple of months ago.    

I'm using Android 11 UI version 3.0.

Samsung, please fix this.

0 Likes
user9GKoGwAxSA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

This does NOT fix the issue on S20+ Verizon.  WiFi still disconnects about 4-6 times after being turned on.  Plus, phone constantly bugs you to turn Google location acuracy back on (e.g. camera app).

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20

try tuning off Go to Settings -> Location -> Google Location Accuracy

i submited a ticket through samsung members app and they said they will update soon. meanwhile this is the workaround.

0 Likes
userjlY15DDHyd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Occasionally an app will ask to turn on the location accuracy to work better and I do.  The wifi and connections drop and I have to go back into setting, turn off location accuracy and restart the device.  Sure would be nice for Samsung to figure this out.  What are we at now, about 2 months?

0 Likes
userjlY15DDHyd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Yeah. mine (S20 AT&T) asks about location services now every time I open the camera app.  Annoying but at least the device is holding connections. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20

try go into setting - apps - camera -permission - and allow location service

0 Likes