Original topic:

Cracked screen on S20+5g phone

(Topic created on: 1/15/21 1:46 PM)
usermA4Qxw1fXg
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Be very careful on spending your money on a S20 phone.  It is well known that the screen was made poorly, and cracks appear very easily or just happen and will not withstand everyday use. I wish I would have done some more research about this phone before I spent $1000.00 in May 2020.  I got this phone for my husband as he was using an S6 still and we were changing phone services and he needed an updated model.  Every phone we have had, we have never had an issue with a cracked screen, they have always been in cases and screen protectors.  We still have the old phones to prove this statement.  Samsung does not provide a hard screen protector for this model.  

Samsung says our phone is still under warranty and to take it to an authorized dealer.  We took it in and was told it was not under samsung warranty because it is a physical defect and once they fix it will lose the samsung warranty also and would cost $300 to fi it.  Did not get it fixed yet as Samsung should stand behind their products, they knew the screen was poorly made but still put out the phone because of competition , who cares about the consumer.  I cannot afford to replace an expensive phone like this and am really disappointed that Samsung will not stand behind their products, but will put out a flawed phone to stay in competition and make more money for their corporation and screw the working middle class. 

8 Replies
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

You have good reason to be upset.   I've heard that the S20 FE phones have a weaker screen for some reason than the S20's....  And overall, I  thought the Gorilla Glass screen on the S20's was supposed to be pretty good. 

Oviously your husband chose not to get the insurance plan on his phone.   That's always a tough call/decison.   With my plan which I've been paying on for 6 months is about $11/month (Verizon Asurion) -  If the phone gets damaged/broke, the deductible is $250... so at $300 or so, it's $50 more than my deductible for a "broke phone"... neither is good because $300 is a lot of money on top of the orginal phone cost! 

There are some strong screen protectors out there... I assume they work on the S20's; I had one on my S8+  made by Zag... Expensive, but worth it.  I would look into the possiblity of getting one of those... Good luck!

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20
Do you know what version of gorilla glass the s20s have?
0 Likes
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
The S20 has Gorilla Glass 6 on the front. the back appears to be plastic... you might check on that.
Diaboyos
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20
I forget what the S5 had but I had a glass screen protector on it and dropped the phone one day. The screen cracked but the paper thin glass screen protector didn't.
0 Likes
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

The S5 had Gorilla Glass 3.  - - On some of those phones one has to be very careful if they didn't have a case on the phone.  I once dropped an s8+ phone on a tile floor and it shattered the "back of the phone"... it's glass, but not the screen. - - That requires a full deductible on insurance plans for a phone replacement, whereas a front screen oftrentimes has/had a modest cost of $30 or so...  

I'm pretty sure the back of the s20's and s21's are plastic so the back won't break.. but of course as the OP stated, the front can break... with some insurance companies,  it could be only $29 to replace the front;  without insurance it's about $300!

Diaboyos
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20
Well I hope gorilla glass 6 is better than 3 was.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
I have found the absolute best protection is a good wallet case like the Samsung LED WALLET COVER or the SNAKEHIVE leather wallet case. Both allow wireless charging and access to all ports.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
Glass is.... Glass. For the most part, 'gorilla' or ' saphire glass' or 'ceramic sheild' ' glass is more marketing than value. If the phone impacts in the right (wrong) place, it will shatter. The case/frame design has more impact (pun) on weather the screen/back will shatter than the glass type. My son's friends have easily broken the supposedly if you listen to apple and their tech media near impervious screens. The best practice I know of is to use an inexpensive tpu case and a cheap tempered glass screen protector. Both can be acquired for a small fraction of one month's insurance. You can spend more for style (case) and ease of application (screen protector) though spending much more for a glass protector than the cheapest offered is usually just giving the seller more profit. The liquid wipe on protector like the one my iPhone owning freind got talked into by the apple store do absolutely nothing but enrich the seller. I'm very sorry your husbands phone is broken and I hope you find a way to get it fixed/replaced. Good luck!
0 Likes