JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Does Samsung sell "super fast" wireless charging pads?

(Topic created: 12-26-2020 09:36 AM)
JGCarillonneur
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
I definitely appreciate the super fast charging as well as the far greater battery my new S20 Ultra phone has. I often try to charge wirelessly, but Samsung's online catalog gives no indication if any of their wireless charging pads support that. They clearly mark the ones that do the older wireless fast charge, which I used with earlier phones, but would like to get some wireless chargers that take advantage of the newer phones.
0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JGCarillonneur
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks! 10watts isn't really Fast charge 2.0. 15 watts is. (9 watts is the older fast charge.) Samsung makes just one charging pad that really does fast charge 2.0 - model EP-N5200TWEGUS. It includes a cooling fan, which is a good idea given the heat that higher charger would create. I have ordered one, and will compare its performance with my older Samsung fast chargers (apparently 9 watts).

View solution in context

5 Replies
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm using some wireless charging pads that charge in both regular and fast charge depending on the adapter you're using. Keep in mind though the fast charge makes the charging pad and phone get very hot where the regular charge doesn't and still charges decently fast. You also must keep in mind if your using fast charge it's inadvisable to leave the phone on the charger once it's full because it will stay hot. Honestly, I don't recommend fast charge unless you must use it for an emergency like the power is about to go out or something. If you want to know the pads I'm using let me know and I'll find a link.
0 Likes
JGCarillonneur
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Well, I do see a wireless charging pad for "fast charge 2.0," which I had never heard of before today. Apparently, that's a 12W charger, which caters to the S10 series. That unit has a cooling fan, which presumably would address the heat issue you mention. This website is very buggy to navigate. With a tech person on the line, we both had trouble finding even the fast charge 2.0 wireless charger. Only a certain wording will work. 

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S20
These are the wireless charging pads I'm using. They are compatible with the S20.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GW9S9TB/

I have one of these using a 5V,2A adapter and the second one using a 9V,2.3A adapter. The 9V is the fast charging adapter but both the pad and phone get very hot so you must remove the phone when it's done charging. Not ideal for leaving on the pad overnight. Using the 5V adapter the pad gets warm the phone barely even gets warm so you can leave it on the pad overnight.

They don't come with adapters so you can use the one your phone came with and purchase one additional one.
Solution
JGCarillonneur
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks! 10watts isn't really Fast charge 2.0. 15 watts is. (9 watts is the older fast charge.) Samsung makes just one charging pad that really does fast charge 2.0 - model EP-N5200TWEGUS. It includes a cooling fan, which is a good idea given the heat that higher charger would create. I have ordered one, and will compare its performance with my older Samsung fast chargers (apparently 9 watts).
JGCarillonneur
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

OK, so here's what I've found: 
I ran my S20 Ultra down to about 15% battery left.
Plugging it into the wire (45 watts) got the best charge, of course, estimated 1 hour 2 minutes to charge
The Fast Charge 2.0 wireless charging pad EP-N5200TWEGUS: estimated 1 hour, 35 minutes to charge. (This was about right. After I was through experimenting, I used this to finish charging. The phone never got hot, by the way.)
The older (9 watt) fast charge pad yielded an estimated charge time of 2 hours, 30 minutes. It never took that long to charge my S8+, but this battery has a whole lot more capacity, so that makes sense. Bottom line, The fast charge 2.0 pad definitely is noticeably faster. I'm told the fastest wireless charge possible on an S20 Ultra is 25 watts (best with a wire is 45 watts). If they could be bothered to sell a 25 watt wireless charger, I would buy it! 
Instead, the word on the street is that the S21 will be capable of handling a fast charge of 65 watts, but they aren't including the charging cable with the phone. I wonder if they'll even offer cords that provice the 65 watts. It's pretty weird!

0 Likes