Original topic:

Dual SIM / eSIM for S20?

(Topic created: 11-30-2021 05:43 PM)
Scarlett17
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I originally thought that my S20 would be dual SIM capable, I bought it for that reason. However, upon opening the SIM slot, only 1 physical SIM card will fit. Other tutorial videos show that a 2nd SIM should fit into the SD card slot but it doesn't for my S20. Upon some research, there is a version of the phone that will take eSIM. Upon chatting with the customer support and giving my IMEI 352620111069711 Model Number SM-G981U1 they said that as of now the S20 5G does not have the updates enrolled for eSIM capability, and that the developers are working on it and that it might be released by the end of the year. If I had known this, I would have chosen a different phone or model. However, it's not very clear on the Samsung shop website which version you are getting, this should be made more clear.  So as of now, I am abroad with a phone that cannot take a 2nd SIM and am forced to use an additional phone for this purpose. I hope the developers can make the update for the S20 for eSIM capability.

8 Replies
TheGalaxy
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S20
Esim means electronic Sim card
Only carrier phones offer esim
0 Likes
Scarlett17
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Yes my carrier can do eSIM but the phone doesn't have the option for it. The Samsung support said the S20 can't support it yet until the developers create the update
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
You are right in some ways. If you bought directly from Samsung, your software built number will be slightly different from those who bought through a carrier. The Samsung developers prioritized carriers to make their eSim available. Those that bought directly from Samsung are not priority.

I leanred this when T-Mobile tech support connected me with Samsung's tech support to resolve this issue of eSim and Samsung passing on the blame to the carrier. The question the T-Mobile tech asked Samsung tech support was that how come Samsung doesn't push out all the eSim updates to all the various built numbers, just like in iPhones or other manufacturers. There was no response from Samsung.
0 Likes
DanG92263
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
Talk to your carrier about what it would take to unlock your phone so that you can just swap out sim chips and carry just the one phone.
0 Likes
Scarlett17
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Yes but my phone doesn't have the EID which is needed. I checked with my carrier and converting to eSIM is available though I don't have the EID to do it. So when I contacted Samsung support to ask how to get the EID they checked my IMEI and said its not available yet for this phone.
0 Likes
DanG92263
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
It is my understanding, that you just need to get your unlock code from your current carrier, then take your phone and unlock code to your second carrier, obtain their SIM, unlock the phone and insert the SIM, then do the same when you switch back.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
Dan, you are mistaken. This talk about the carriers needing to activate eSim is false. Totally false. Samsung is using that to shift blame. If this phone was bought directly from Samsung, the activation has to come form Samsung through the built number associated with unlocked phones bought from Samsung.

I have the Note 20 Ultra and I was pushed around between Samsung and T-Mobile technical support teams. Samsung would tell me the carried needed to push down the update but the carrier would reject it and ask me to get back to Samsung as they is their responsibility. Finally, the tech support from T-Mobile made a three-way connection with me and Samsung's tech support to address this issue with eSim. We were on the phone for over an hour. I have the tickets number to prove. In that call, the carrier told Samsung tech that Samsung is the one to push software for security and eSim. The carrier branded phones have a slightly different built number and Samsung pushes eSim based on that built information. (Did you know that???)

A direct question was asked of Samsung that if Samsung believes there is anything the carrier should do, then Samsung tech should say that. The tech form Samsung asked for my IMEI number, fumbled around, tried everything, and nothing work. We were on the call for over an hour. Then, the Samsung tech said a manager would call me for a decision. A manager never called. We have called back and tried to speak to a manager. They gave me another ticket number for a manager's call. Yet, none had called. I called back three times to speak to a manager. They placed me on hold until I got disconnected.

So, this issue of eSim has to be pushed by the carriers is nonsense. TOTAL NONESENSE. All the carriers have a different built number and Samsung pushes eSim to them based in the built number. Simply, Samsung has not done that to the unlocked phones that were bought directly from Samsung. Why? These individuals don't have clout and power to demand remedy. No agency.

Deceit seems to be a culture thing with Samsung.

It is a hideous practice by Samsung.
DanG92263
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm not familiar with eSims. I just got my unlock code from my carrier and I was simply parroting the emailed instructions that AT&T had sent with the code.
0 Likes