JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Duplication of text phrases using voice to text (NOT duplicate texts)

(Topic created: 07-18-2021 12:52 PM)
sepuzzle
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I have a brand new  Galaxy S20 FE, and when I use voice to text, it duplicates almost everything I say.  The following is an example of what I get when I read this paragraph. :

" I have a brand new Galaxy S20FE, and when I use it ecama and when I use voice to text, it duplicates almost every it duplicates almost everything I say. The following is an example of what the following is an example of what I get when I read this paragraph."

This phone was just activated yesterday, new out of the box.  This is useless.  Is there a fix? Is my phone defective?

Solution
sepuzzle
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
After hours of messing around, I solved the problem for mine. In phone settings, Under General management> Keyboard list and default, both Google Voice typing and Samsung voice input were both turned on. I turned off Samsung. Then under General management> text-to-speech, I changed the preferred engine to Google, and that fixed it. Setting both to Samsung did not work.
userwwwuXbjN5G
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Thank you, thank you, thank you @sepuzzle. Note, that wasn't speech to text duplicating what I said, because it not longer does the crazy duplication thing since I followed your directions and it is fixed.

As far as I am concerned, you win the Internet today and I am really grateful for your post - thank you again!

user16Ac7QKg2b
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Fixed mine too!  Thanks @sepuzzle!!

usergAND89jHqf
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks! I'll try it
0 Likes
SamsungPlsHelp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I am glad that it worked for you. It started for me four days ago. My settings are correct. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9. So, does my friend. He switched from Google Keyboard to Samsung. Mine was already Samsung, but I tried Google. Didn't help. I've got some Samsung restrictions due to it being a (unlocked) Verizon phone, and they disabled things (like cloud). 

Samsung has only advised that I go through every troubleshooting step that wiped out years of memory from apps on my last phone (even without factory reset), and caused my Samsung keyboard to be grayed out  (could no longer choose it). I don't want GBoard. People still had similar issues with that app, as well.

The details:

On the default messenger of my Samsung Galaxy S9 and on Telegram, after text to voice had been making up really bad word spellings, instead of using a real word, a new issue began on 7/9/21 for me and my friend where, after clicking on the keyboard's microphone and speaking, it types it out several variations of phrases and words. This means at least three phrases per sentence to delete, as well as random words. It makes using voice to text pretty useless and frustrating.

In Language and input > On-screen keyboard > Manage Keyboards, Samsung Keyboard is selected, but grayed out. Google voice typing and Samsung voice input are selected. (There are no other options).

Under Language and input, Autofill service is Samsung pass (no other options). Preferred engine is Samsung Text-to-speech engine (which is my preference, though the Vz tech said that it is still a google product. *I don't want to switch to Gboard and have my voice recorded.

My friend said that he had switched from Google Voice to Samsung (without rebooting) and his issue went away. I tried each one, but the issue remained.

By the way, on my last phone, Galaxy S7, the Samsung Keyboard was grayed out and one of two reasons I just bought the S9 a couple of months ago. A Verizon tech assured me it wouldn't happen on this phone. I persisted and asked what if it did. He said that I could download it from the play store, but it doesn't have the original Samsung keyboard app anymore. I suspected that when I asked. (Since it was originally a Verizon phone I can't access Samsung Cloud, either. Vz disabled it).

Samsung said that since my phone is out of warranty, they can't help.

I've seen several posts about new phones having the same issue (though it's not limited to Samsung), but the comments have been locked, so I can't add to them, and I have not seen replies from Samsung.

I don't want to go through the troubleshooting steps that I did with my S7 when my camera stopped working, which is what caused the Samsung keyboard to be grayed out. When I re-partitioned, it wiped out years of saved app information, too.

We need an actual solution. I think that Samsung needs to talk to Google needs to undo the last update and fix it so that text to speech works properly with correct spelling, syntax, capitalization, punctuation (no space between a word followed by a comma...), and most urgently -- to print the correct text, (possibly offer variations in a drop down).

Here is another example:

https://androidforums.com/threads/voice-to-text-keeps-repeating-voice-to-text-keeps-repeating-senten...

0 Likes
sepuzzle
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
You say in your paragraph 4 that you have BOTH Google voice typing and Samsung voice input on. Unchecking Samsung voice input was the key to solving my problem along with changing preferred text-to-speech engine to Google. I am still using Samsung keyboard but not Samsung voice input. I am also on Verizon. If you haven't tried that, I would suggest you do. It worked for me on a Galaxy s20, and I have nothing else to offer.
SamsungPlsHelp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
Thank you. I actually read another post that specifically named What you just did, and I unchecked I unchecked Google Voice typing typing. Seems to be fine now it's to be fine now. Nope, I guess not. Darn.
0 Likes
sepuzzle
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
You have to uncheck Samsung, not Google, to dodge this problem
0 Likes
SamsungPlsHelp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
My friend did the opposite and it worked. I prefer Samsung. Trying to use G as little as possible, but looks like my phone only gives me the option you recommended. While it's no longer giving alternatives when I click on a word that's wrong, at least the workings is fixed. Thanks.
0 Likes
jimwalt
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Worked for me on my A50 (July 13, 2021)