JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

FM Radio Disabled (Unlocked, US)

(Topic created: 03-08-2020 05:54 PM)
Samsung_JTFtvE7
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

The FM radio is disabled on the US unlocked firmware. It is enabled on the US carrier models. Please enable it for unlocked users.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
userzNoynQHeEG
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

How do we get it unlocked? Is there a way to tell Samsung to unlock it or petition? My new Tmobile A715G is also no available. Samsung support said US not supported, but this news article says it should be. https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-activate-smartphone-fm-chips-us-canada/

I'm using my old Honor 7X to do radio. My old Moto G phones have it too. This is my most expensive phone yet and it doesn't have those basics including voice recording.

userawBWLOCw0g
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Sprint Galaxy S20+

Was able to download Next Radio with no issue but when I opened the app I was presented with message in the screenshot. Anyone know what I can do? I also have 2 tablets i tried with no luck; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition and a Galaxy Tab A 10.5.Screenshot_20200918-201056_NextRadio.jpg

gallen22
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
I get the same message that I need to contact my carrier. Next Radio is the only app I can find that actually uses the built in FM tuner, but it doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE on Verizon. My previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy S8+, worked fine with Next Radio app. All I needed was a headphone. since Samsung has dropped the headphone jack on the Galaxy S20FE, I bought a headphone adapter that plugs into the C power connector. Next radio still comes up with the same message & still won't work. Since the FCC requires an onboard built in FM radio in all cell phones, why is mine useless. My Samsung Galaxy S20FE was unlocked since I am on Verizon Prepaid plan. SAMSUNG-PLEASE GIVE US SOME HELP!
JWRube
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

This is the second area that makes me feel like a downgrade when I traded in my Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus for this Galaxy S20 Plus.

userb0WX74YP8Z
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

This is truly dissapointing. I keep regretting my decisions to buy Samsung products. First my Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2019) had HDMI output from USB-C (MHL?) disabled and now can't listen to FM signals over air on my unlocked S20 FE, knew i should have gone with Oneplus.   Is there a reason USB-C would make using headphones as antenna not work?

C'mon Samsung, do better!

Solution
They_changed_it
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
According to the message it is the carrier's fault. Samsung is not the one that disabled it.
0 Likes
userwN2KQSZEwK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have an S20 FE,  it is locked as well. My carrier didn't know how to unlock, he transferred me to Samsung.  The Samsung rep knew of the problem, but the only way it can be fixed is to have the carrier unlock it 

It worked on my old S9, and the FM radio chip was unlocked when I received it. 

Samsung developers,  Please wnable the FM radio chip.

user7mnViAhTbW
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
I have the same problem after the most recent update of my s10. This is ridiculous, t mobile is saying it's Samsung fault. I doubt the representative I spoke to know anything about this.
user7IFgOXvAeL
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I am having the same issue! I purchased the S20 FE (unlocked) and would love to have the ability to listen to FM radio offline. From what I have read, this phone like many others should have the ability to do this but it appears to be disabled. I spoke with my carrier and they said they could not find any way from their end to enable this feature and suggested that I contact Samsung. I hear that this feature works on some other brands. I hope I don't end up wishing I had of purchased a different phone.

userr48Ie9xJbu
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

My Galaxy A51 specs show it should have an FM tuner as well, but it's not enabled and I get the same message on Next Radio. My old Galaxy J7 Pro had a FM tuner and a preloaded app from Samsung named RADIO that controlled it.

Samsung we want our FM radio!