Original topic:

Factory Reset, No Longer Showing Text on Always on Screen

(Topic created: 07-05-2022 08:03 PM)
userAWPERbvPaJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Supposedly, there should be an "Show for new notifications:" under always on display but I only have 3  choices and that's not one of them. I've searched extensively and that is simply not in any menu tree I can find and my texts will not display without tapping the screen.

It used to work but I had issues with a new carrier where WiFi calling wasn't allowed. They talked me into performing a factory reset which I resisted but they wouldn't help me any longer if I didn't. Well, it didn't fix the problem and I spent the next two days trying to get my phone restored to where it was. For the record, there is no Google or Samsung backup that will restore my home screens and settings. I got the data back but it didn't even remember my dark mode preference.

Anyway, after a week I've got most everything I really care about set back up except none of my SMS messages will show on the Always On display. 

Prior to the factory reset, every single non-spam text message would pop a balloon with the person it was from and the first line of the text on the black screen. Now, all I get is a vibration notification but no visual information. I have to tap twice to get anything and that displays the full lock screen info.

5 Replies
Stevekim24
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20
Have you try typing Always on, click on notificationScreenshot_20220705-202547_Settings_5144_1657077962.jpgScreenshot_20220705-202452_Settings Suggestions_5143_1657077932.jpg
userAWPERbvPaJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

First thing I did. It affects all notifications. My Ring doorbell doesn't pop up any more either so it is something buried somewhere that isn't obvious. I tried to chat with Samsung support but after an hour of waiting, I gave up and went to bed.

Googling for "Samsung text on Always On Screen" yields so many useless results it is worthless. A dozen of the same videos showing either the option I don't have or the screen set like I already have it. 

I'm not beyond blaming the carrier at this point. When I switched carriers, the broke WiFi calling. Toggle it on and it immediately toggles off with an error. Using a different carrier SIM and it works fine so I know the phone is OK, just some idjit on the backend got happy with twiddling buttons on and off that they should have left alone. That's when they forced me into a factory reset to prove it wasn't my phone but their service causing the issue.

Attached screenshot. Also, the Always On Display page where I am missing the Show for new notifications: option outlined in red rectangle

Screenshot_20220706-065840_AlwaysOnDisplay.jpgScreenshot_20220706-065536_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
userAWPERbvPaJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I have been experimenting and even with Always On Display set to always on, it still will not pop notifications on the display. The screen is on, the clock is visible but texts never appear or any other pop ups.

0 Likes
user2yt96BuBgY
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
I am having the exact same problem if you know a fix please let me know
userAWPERbvPaJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Not yet. I've tried to contact Samsung for support but the chat just goes to a dead page that never updates after the auto-(useless)-bot has suggested the very things I've tried on my own for days on end, including multiple restarts and several of them in safe mode.

This cannot be that hard. If you do figure it out, I'd appreciate what worked also.

0 Likes