cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Finger Print not always accepted

I've been having issues with my in screen finger print ID. Sometimes it doesn't register my finger even when the screen is clean and my finger is dry. It came to a point where I had to add my finger to the phone again. I don't know what's the problem is with my scanner

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Finger Print not always accepted

Hello,

have you tried deleting and re-adding your fingerprints? Try going into your settings, search "Fingerprint unlock" and it should the first prompt you see. After that, you need to enter your phone passcode to add/delete any fingerprint information saved on your phone. Try adding one dominant finger (say your thumb) multiple times in order to get the best possible fingerprint unlock. The idea behind that is that the mroe information you give your fingerprint sesnor about the various grooves and indentations on your finger, the better it can perform.

Additionally, you can try putting your phone into Safe Mode to try to solve the issue.

To put your phone into safe mode:

1. Keep the phone on and hold the power button

2. There should be a menu prompt on the phone screen with three options

3. Hold the power off option down and the button should turn green

4. Click the green icon and the phone will reboot into safe mode

See if that solves the issue. Safe Mode disables any third party apps on your phone as it could be a third party application causing the issues.

You can also try factory resetting your phone to solve any fingerprint issues. Go into your settings, search "Reset" and it should be the first option you see.

Let me know if this helps. Thanks!

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi user, im sorry for the incovienince your having. Id like to reccomend resetting the phone device. Go to Settings > General Management > Reset > Factory Data Reset. If the problem consist i would recommend looking for a UbreakIfix to get a phone repair.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

same problem with s20+ 

Highlighted
Constellation

I agree - the fingerprint scanner is a big step backwards, very unreliable. Having come from the HTC U12+, a phone with a few problems of its own,  but which had a fingerprint reader that was fast, consistent, and only required a  brief touch (I'd say about 90% reliable), the scanner on the S20 is awful in comparison (around 50% reliable) and needs a solid press and hold for a second to have any chance of a read.

I've tried deleting and re-entering the finger scan data three times, but it doesn't get any better...

I like almost everything else about this phone, but an in-screen scanner was a big mistake.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Yeah, I agree the fingerprint as well as face ID are lacking. Especially when compared to iPhones.

Highlighted
Astronaut

I.got the s20 plus and I haven't had any problems out of mine