cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Finger print scanner is not working

It might just be me but i think the finger print scanner on the s20 ultra is bad. Please don't come to me saying that I am probably doing it wrong or be that person saying that it works fine for me, because if it does good for you. I don't know why you would come to a post that says finger print scanner is bad. I upgraded from the s9+ which they took two things away from the phone that i was use to, the finger print scanner on the back and the head phone jack "which is another story for another day". The s9 scanner worked fine. I never had a problem with it unless my fingers was sweaty or wet or sticky, but besides that it worked fine. I use the finger print scanner a lot especially because i use Samsung pay on most of my purchases. So it's quite embarrassing when i am at the Cash register and I am attempting to pay for my stuff but I keep on failing the scan 3 too 4 times, and this is with Everytime I use it. Maybe it is because i have big monster fingers but I tried everything from pressing a little harder to adding the same fingerprint twice, it is a mind f. Hopefully they add some type of patch for it, I don't know if it was bad like this for the s10 and they fix it but this is a big issue for me because of the Samsung pay. I like everything else about the phone besides that and the lack of the headphone Jack which makes it so that I can't listen to music and charge my phone at the same time in my work truck. Ugh

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Finger Sprint scanner is bad

The technology used by the S9 fingerprint scanner and the S20 fingerprint scanner is completely different. The S20 fingerprint scanner is an ultrasonic sensor. If your fingers are very dry, it won't work. In a medical setting often a gel is applied to ensure a good contact between the untrasound device and the human body. Try applying lotion to your hands or even just licking your finger before attempting a scan. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I understand what you are saying about the technology is different, i don't think that is the problem because I always get it on the third or fourth attempt besides even though the s20 is different technologies from the s9 scanner you still could not use the s9 scanner with wet sticky greasy or dirty fingers so I am familiar with cleaning my hands before using it.

Highlighted
Astronaut

I don't know much about the change in tech between the note 10+ fingerprint scanner and the one in the s20's. But I JUST purchased my phone and found that glass screen protectors (regardless of their claims to be compatible) are a no go. Once I applied a good (non glass) shield, perfection every time. I'm coming from an iPhone so I'm spoiled by face recognition on EVERYTHING. But it's not so bad now that I figured out my mistake. Don't know if you're using a screen protector, but if you are, I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

No glass protector or tempered glass cause I read that they cause problems with the scanner, just the plastic film screen protector that came with the phone when I bought it is still on their. Thanks for the advice though

Highlighted
Astronaut

The finger scanner on my note 10 never works

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Actually my girlfriend has the note 10+ 5g and she complained about it all the time and she started using the pattern instead of the finger print scanner. I guess I should of listened when she was talking and stopped ignoring her

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

The Ultrasonic sensor on the S20 is the most secure fingerprint security on a mobile device. I might get a misread from time to time but I think people need to understand that it helps alot if you take your time when fingerprint unlocking. Take a second and make sure you put your thumb on it correctly and not too close to the tip of your thumb. I noticed this awhile ago when I place my thumb tip on the sensor I would get more misreads then if I took a second and placed my thumb correctly.

Constellation

Some fingerprints just don't work.  I took it back to the store, the guy tried it - worked just fine.  Mine?  Nope.  Have tried over & over & over - finger tips, full finger, sneak up from the bottom, top, sides, hard soft. Nope.  For whatever reason, it just doesn't read some fingerprints.   You're lucky, man, but not everyone else is as evidenced by all the posts.  Maybe it is the most secure - so secure that it doesn't work for some people who paid alot of money for it.

Highlighted
Constellation

This fingerprint scanner (s 20 +) is the worts technology I have encountered since the Apple Newton.  It stinks stinks stinks.  I have tried every trick suggested on this thread... and a bunch of others and the scanner simply stinks.