cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Finger Sprint scanner is bad

I've had my S20 for 2 weeks, and the fingerprint sensor and face unlock are terrible compared to iphones that I have used. Iphone is like a 10 and this is like a 5 or 6.

Highlighted
Astronaut

I agree that the S20 fingerprint unlock is not as consistent as the S9 etc. I have scanned the finger I use most often to unlock my S20 into 3 of the 4 fingerprint slots... this has helped alot.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

The fingerprint scanner worked better on my S10+ than it does on my S20 Ultra. I feel like I have to push extra hard for it to work on my S20 and sometimes it takes about 3 or 4 tries before it actually works. Sometimes I just get annoyed and just enter my pattern to unlock the phone because it won't unlock after the 3 or 4 times.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

I have the S20Ultra as well, but I have to say the fingerprint scanner on the Ultra works way better for me than it did on my s10+. Just some tips for people who may be having issues:

for me I only use my right thumb to unlock my phone, so I scanned my right thumb all 4 times for the 4 prints that you're allowed to save...so if you only use 1 or 2 fingers to unlock your phone, then make sure you scan those fingers more than once and save them as different prints, so I did mine as rthumb1, rthumb2, rthumb3, rthumb4. You get what I mean. Now, my fingerprint unlock is accurate and fast no matter the angle I put my thumb because I made sure to change the position of my thumb for all 4 readings. 

I had done the above method with my s10+ as well, but even with the 4 saved thumb prints, it wasn't nearly as accurate, and I had just defaulted to unlocking with PIN.

Hope the above is able to help one of you if you haven't tried it yet!

*if I have helped you, please like this post ❤️ If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a solution ✅ Hope you have a great day!
Highlighted
Constellation

I've just come from a Sony XZ2 with a dedicated fingerprint reader in the middle of the back and it was pretty much flawless and instant. Only ever failed if I'd been surfing for a while and fingers were all wrinkled. It sometimes even worked when the phone and my hands were wet.
I now have an S20+, great phone, SHOCKINGLY poor fingerprint reader. It's SO SLOW then misreads at least 60 - 70% of the time. I have 4 fingers registered and all fail.
How did this make it into a flagship phone?
If this can be fixed by software then it needs sorting, if it's a hardware limitation then should NEVER be on a £1000 phone.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I suggest Samsung to continue researching on 3D face technology. In case Fingersprint doesn't work as expected, user has another option to choose. Otherwise, Apple will win, and I don't expect that!

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Samsung won't do a face id unless they're able to do it under the display so there is no notch. Until they can accomplish that, they won't go that route. They will continue with the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor and trying to improve it. 

*if I have helped you, please like this post ❤️ If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a solution ✅ Hope you have a great day!
Highlighted
Constellation

You are exactly right.  The S9+ fingerprint scanner on the back was simple to use, flawless.  I don't have fat fingers <edit>.  Like you I've done multiple scans - each took 100 presses to get it to accept. Then, to log in, five tries, nada _"wait 30 seconds to try again."  Really?  C'mon, Samsung - you had something that worked great - fix it.  We've all paid $1,000 for something that works worse - for some of us.  Lick your fingers?  Bet the CDC would love that!  

Samsung, is there a patch?  

Highlighted
Astronaut

I had a Pixel 2 that I gave to my nephew and upgraded myself to the S20 plus. The fingerprint scanner on the S20 plus is horrendous compared to the Pixel 2. Like others on here, I expected MUCH better from a premium phone. My brother has an S9 that he never has problems with. The latest and greatest in biometrics means nothing if you can't use it.