cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Fingerprint and face id

I have s20 ultra in the USA. Usually the phone performs well but overnight when I try to unlock it in the morning it doesn't allow me to unlock using fingerprints or faceid both are deactivated at that time.

I know that after updating os or software, this happens as I am samsung galaxy for 10 years or so but this is completely new to me.

I have checked that all my apps are updated in play store, os is updated. Then I factory reset the phone and tried to open it in safe mode but it doesn't work. I purchased it from best buy and after 14 days, I can't return the phone. Please help.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Comet

Re: Fingerprint and face id

Are you able to access your biometrics settings to add and remove fingerprints? Try removing the old fingerprint you have registered and replacing it with a new one to see if that fixes the issue. To do this: Open your Settings>Biometrics and Security>Fingerprint. From there you can see your finger print profiles and add and remove them accordingly. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Maybe your phone restarted overnight. Do you have that option turned on. If phone restarts then you have to use pin for first time login.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

if the phone was idled for more than 4 hours it will ask for the backup password

Highlighted
Constellation

Does anybody know what this "feature" is called or how to disable it?  My S8 would require a backup login after a restart, but my s20 does it *all the time* and it's incredibly annoying.  

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@user2BMUdFrEcB This is a security feature built-in to the software and cannot be disabled. If the phone is asking for the PIN/Password each time you have to unlock the phone, verify you have Biometrics set up. You can also set up Smart Lock to have the phone remain unlocked while it's on your person. https://thedroidguy.com/secure-screen-lock-on-galaxy-s20-1123650

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

This usually occurs when the phone restarts. The disabling of biometrics is to ensure the security of your phone after it restarts to make sure no one attempts to unlock your phone when you are sleeping or something like that. You can go into settings to turn this auto restart feature off.