JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S20 Encrypted SD data Corrupted After Phone Update

(Topic created: 08-31-2022 04:44 PM)
userLEQlkiGCvC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

After the latest system update on my S20, none of the files are not readable on my encrypted SD card. It is odd since the File structure is still accessible (perhaps wasn't encrypted) but the actual files cannot be opened. Any insight into issue? Would rolling back the update (if even possible) allow me to recover the files? Actually, almost all are backed up but photos from a concert had not been backed up yet. In any event, this is an annoying inconvenience.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
chade617
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
Incredibly happy to report that the October update restored the encryption capability on my S20. I am now able to access all of the information on the previously encrypted SD card.

Thank you to everyone involved on collaborating on this issue and thank you to Samsung for addressing it!!

View solution in context

45 Replies
Robin1580NJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
I lost all my stuff in secure folder after last updat n I have s21. I hope it gets fix
0 Likes
GaryB82
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20
Sorry to hear your SD card is messed up and no you wouldn't be able to roll back the update it is recommended to remove the SD card when doing updates on your devices

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like the post.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓ to Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
sarason
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

The same thing happened to me. This is absurd.

Removing the SD card would not help in this case because it's the encryption that's broken, not the data itself. Can you please provide some real advice about if there's anything we can do about this?

ChessM
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I would suggest the better solution is to decrypt the SD before the upgrade - especially if the encryption key is what is lost!!

But that takes a while with a 128 GB card.  

Correcting the security upgrade would be the preferred option - as I've not had any issues in the past two years with upgrades on the S20 or any pre S20 when I had an S7...

0 Likes
xradman
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Same here.  Please fix this ASAP.

userLEQlkiGCvC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Not much of a solution. I accept that I have now lost my data but the fact that I can no longer set up encryption does not work for me. See my follow-up post in this conversation. I need to restore the ability to encrypt my SD card. Has that capability been removed? If not, how do I restore it? Perhaps the software update didn't run properly? Can I reinstall the update? I need to get this fixed.

altf4
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I lost information on the SDcard. Installed a new card and it won't encrypt the card at all. The encryption system is broken. It is VERY important that this is fixed.
userLEQlkiGCvC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I agree, the encryption capability is broken. I reformatted and tried to encrypt the original SD card and it never made it past the "Checking SD Card" step. I actually left it running for over nine hours on a 128 GB card. I tried a second SD card and got the same result. No encryption: not acceptable!

chade617
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
I've got the same issue on an S20. Samsung support was worthless and suggested performing a factory reset (which will certainly brick the card) or simply wait for the next software update. I tried a second SD card, as well and it just spun on the checking SD card screen. Again, Samsung rep tried to tell me that only one card can be encrypted at a time. Wrong - my old busted S8 encrypted 2 different cards in a matter of seconds. I'm hopeful that once the encryption process is restored, the card will be readable again. Otherwise I've lost about a year's worth of photos due to a faulty back up on my end.