cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

Galaxy S20 FE 5G Audio

Hello. Just ordered an S20 FE 5G. This will be my first phone without a headphone jack.  My question is, what is coming out of the USB-C port? Is it analog? Do I need a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter or do I need a dongle that has a built-in DAC? I downloaded and viewed the manual, but didn't see any information on this. Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Astronaut

Re: Galaxy S20 FE 5G Audio

I'm in the same boat, from what I've read you need a dongle with built in dac to get full volume. Read the cheap adapters from Amazon/ebay only output volume at like halfway. You can get brand new apple/samsung ones tho for like 10-12$ on eBay.
Asteroid

Yeah...I feel that this is information that should be front and center. Unless I overlooked it, I didn't see any information on this in the manual.

Constellation

you really need to get a Bluetooth. it's 2020..
Asteroid

Thanks, but that is not a good answer. I know that bluetooth is an option, but you'd be kidding yourself if you think that bluetooth audio is as good as wired audio. It's getting better, but it isn't there, yet.

Constellation

Re: Re: Galaxy S20 FE 5G Audio

Bluetooth is not the answer to everything and everyone . For example, I have a 2010 Mercedes Benz that I love and plan to keep but it's technology of back then , doesn't play my songs over Bluetooth. The adapter will come handy for me .
Asteroid

I'm surprised it doesn't come with a dongle like the pixel and the iPhone do. I personally use the little dongle that I got from my pixel 3, and it works absolutely fine.
Asteroid

The thing is, some are dongles with built-in DAC, and some are just adapters. Some work and some don't. This is why Samsung should indicate if the USB port outputs any analog or is it just digital audio. 

Asteroid

Re: Re: Galaxy S20 FE 5G Audio

Thanks, but I already have a set of headphones.

Astronaut

USB C is capable of outputting an analog signal as well as a digital signal. This issue is the lack of standardization with phone makers that results in "active" or "passive" headphones.

If the phone converts the signal to analog before passing on through the port then basically any USB C headphones will work.

if it doesn't then you have to have "active" headphones which have a dac and amp built in.

I'd put my money on the phone requiring "active" headphones