cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Galaxy S20 Ultra WhatsApp issues with Mic and rear facing camera

Hey guys,

I've been using WhatsApp daily for video calls with friends and family and since I bought my Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra I'm experiencing the following issues with it:

1. On a video call with the loudspeaker selected the other end doesn't hear me nor understands what I'm saying occasionally. This is a serious issue that forces me to use most of the time my Bluetooth headset. (FYI: I'm in a quiet room)

2. When I switch to the rear camera I face unpleasant focus issues. Everything seems blurry especially on close-ups. The front-facing camera can get blurry sometimes too but the issue is more evident with the rear one. 

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Best,

S

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy S20 Ultra WhatsApp issues with Mic and rear facing camera

I can confirm the following: 

A. As a result, either by the way you hold the phone up against your face (if your bottom finger moves below the mic hole) or by having the loudspeaker selected while the device is positioned upwards against a wall for example (example: talking on the Whatsapp while cooking) then the audio gets muffled or the other end can't hear anything at all. It's easy to recreate this issue by video calling a friend, switching to the loudspeaker and placing the phone upwards against a wall.

It seems that Whatsapp is not using the top microphone. I would assume that it would try to take advantage of both. 

B. You can watch the rear camera focus issues here. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Samsung moved the mic from the right side on GS10+ to the left one on GS20 Ultra. As a result, we need to get accustomed to it and stop placing our fingers directly underneath it.

The top mic seems to not work with calls, Whatsapp, the recoding app so I'm not sure of its real purpose possible noise canceling.

Highlighted
Constellation

I'm facing a similar issue. I have noticed that the calls, usually voice call, run fine as long as the screen is on i.e. if I'm on loudspeaker or using  handset, eventually screen goes off and the caller on the other end stops hearing me, sometimes it switches to "reconnecting" as well and connects back or resume voice once screen is turned on. This is really annoying as I use Whatsapp daily to connect with family. @SophosX did someone get back to you on this?

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Nope. As far as the camera goes we will have to live with it. I believe that is a hardware limitation of taking close-ups photos or videos that are blurry with the new camera module. It's unfortunate but this is how it is. The camera module even though it sounds great on paper unfortunately it doesn't deliver on day-to-day tasks. I guess if you are a photographer you could benefit from that big sensor but then why buy a phone that doesn't let you take a clear photo of a document or scan easily a check etc.
Now with that in mind and this is only a speculation when we use that rear camera with WhatsApp we experience both the above issue and the following Android problem. I don't really think anyone using WhatsApp video has a clear rear video with Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra when closing up to a subject. I also don't think this will be an issue only with WhatsApp.

I discovered that the microphone issue is related to the change of its position from the right bottom side (s10plus) of the phone to the left one. As a result multiple times my little finger (right hand) will block that microphone and that's due to the way you have to hold the phone.

The upper microphone is used for noise cancellation purposes.

I haven't observed any issue with the screen off so far but usually I don't have the screen off while on a WhatsApp call. Maybe that's related to the sleep management of the application. Did you check sleeping and deep sleeping applications? If it's under there remove it from both lists and try again.

Highlighted
Constellation

I also have whats app mic issues.... It works fine sometimes and people can hear me on WhatsApp call... Then randomly during the day it will fail and I can hear the other person and they can't hear me. Sometimes the phone evens says there is a mic issue and suggests to restart. Samsung... Please fix this bug. I can't keep restarting my phone to get whatapp calling to work.