cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Galaxy S20 Wifi Issue - Cannot turn on

I got my S20 Ultra from my carrier yesterday. It worked well when connected to mobile data, but when I connected to wifi and left the phone for a while, the connection drops, Wi-Fi on the phone turns off, and I am unable to switch it back on again. I have to restart the phone to switch on Wi-Fi again, and the cycle continues.

I already did a couple of network settings reset and a factory reset, but to no avail. Wifi also occasionally drops while I'm using the phone. 

Help, please? 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Galaxy S20 Wifi Issue - Cannot turn on

I have the same problem. It bugs me a lot. I have got to this point that I am using two phones when I am at home. I am like watching YouTube and it stops. I have to turn off/on the wifi. Today I watched 22 min video and it did that 5 times. Now I am using mate 20 pro as my second phone. Its a shame for a 1.100€

Highlighted
Constellation

Yes, tried connecting to Wi-Fi in different locations, but to no avail. The Wi-Fi function of the phone itself won't turn back on unless I restart the phone. Could it be a firmware problem? 

Asteroid

Bumping this thread. My S20+ drops calls when handing off calls from Cellular to Wi-Fi. Sounds related to your problems.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Same thing here. My S20+ drops wifi connections dozens of times per day. Causes apps to freeze and a video call is impossible.

Just did the new update this morning, and it didn't help at all.

Makes the phone unusable unless you turn wifi off. (which is not practical of course).

Highlighted
Asteroid

my S20 used to drop my wifi at home slot. But since the guy at the Samsung store done a complete wipe of my phone it now doesn't connect to my wifi at all despite working fine on the working store. My partners S10+, my old SGS5 and Huawei p10 all connect just fine. My modem is only 8 months old so it's definitely not that.

Not happy. Trying to get a refund or replacement from the place of purchase...

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Just to clarify, are you only experiencing these symptoms with your home Wi-Fi?

Have you tried resetting the network settings? Just a heads up, by resetting the network settings, it will remove all wi-fi and Bluetooth settings you currently have saved.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

I am also having this exact issue with my new S20 Ultra - the WiFi is completely disabled and cannot be turned back on again so this affects all WiFi networks, not just my home WiFi. @SamsungAdam 

Also tried resetting the network settings multiple times which doesn't fix it: the only workaround I have found so far is to completely restart the device to be able to regain WiFi, which is a huge inconvenience for obvious reasons. One thing I have noticed, however, is that the WiFi only seems to cut out whenever I am not using it - i.e. the device is sleeping - perhaps the issue is related to some sort of software powr management issue? No idea really, just speculating. 

I've seen on another source that this issue seems to have been affecting people who used the Samsung Smart Switch  app to transfer their data across and this also applies to me as well, does it apply to anyone else in this thread? Really don't want to have to reformat this phone and move everything over manually if that is the case, but if there is no other possible fix I may have to.

If anyone has any ideas on how I could possibly fix this that would help tremendously, thanks.

Highlighted
Red Giant

Hello,

I might try helping.

1. Do you use an app that uses wifi scanning to operate such as nexar dashcam app?
  2. Put the device into the safe mode and see if the wifi drops?
  3. What is the phone's model number, carrier, Software version.

Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Asteroid

So I recently sent my device back to the retailer with the same issues who then sent it back to Samsung. It was deemed faulty hardware and I was given a full refund...