Original topic:

Galaxy S20 edge lighting not working

(Topic created on: 10/23/20 6:10 AM)
userYAVcoEUZJO
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Unlocked Galaxy S20 on Tmobile. I have all notifications turned on for the apps I want to use it for. In the edge lighting settings I have it set to always and applied to ALL apps. It does work for the default Samsung messgages app, but not Google Messages. When using google messages, I will get an alert on the lock screen, but no edge lighting with pop on the AOD. Is there some other setting I'm missing, or is it Edge lighting AOD just broken?

24 Replies
przhpi
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I know there are several similar posts to the one I am creating, but I think it is important to bring this issue up until it gets fixed.

It's very hard to make Edge Lighting work. First, I find the menu quite counter-intuitive, although this is the lesser of the problems. Once I had managed to have Edge Lighting working at all times and I had chosen which apps should trigger it and which colours, I thought everything would be ok. It is not ok. With some third-party apps (e.g., Telegram) it seems to work most of the times; with other apps, such as Signal, the light notification only works when I am using the phone and not when the screen is off. Basically it works in the moments I care the least that it works.

The Samsung S20+ is an expensive phone. Having to waste time on the internet looking for the solution for a problem I should't have is definitely not what I would expect from a flagship phone.

userjh5ENqmj4X
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Alright, so it seems I've figured out a work around that's a bit annoying. 

You need to make sure that each app you want to work with edge lighting is specifically set as a pop up notification.

That may mean having to click every single app on your list...

Screenshot_20201023-091005_Settings.jpg

I specifically turned that feature off when I got my S20 yesterday, so you could imagine how annoyed I am to have to sit and re-select everything again the next day. Another issue is that pop-up notifications aren't available for every app. It shouldn't be so difficult to make a seemingly simple feature work on such a pricey phone, if you ask me. But I suppose it's better than nothing for now. Hopefully the next update makes everything easier.

Edit: Yet another problem- I can't get the light to work while the screen is off... which is the most important aspect of the feature. Que the sighs. 

bkendvstl
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks for this. Kudos.

However this has only got it working when the phone is being used, i.e. not locked with the display off - so a partial fix.

Still trying to find the answer which allows the edge lighting to be displayed when the phone isn't in use, which for me is the only real time I need this option to function.

0 Likes
userzYHXX41ERI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
With the new update I don't even have the option to click on edge lighting. where can I find it
0 Likes
CrissyLopez
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
go to notifications, click brief pop up style and it should be there.
0 Likes