cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Galaxy S20 edge lighting not working

Unlocked Galaxy S20 on Tmobile. I have all notifications turned on for the apps I want to use it for. In the edge lighting settings I have it set to always and applied to ALL apps. It does work for the default Samsung messgages app, but not Google Messages. When using google messages, I will get an alert on the lock screen, but no edge lighting with pop on the AOD. Is there some other setting I'm missing, or is it Edge lighting AOD just broken?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy S20 edge lighting not working

Give this link a try for troubleshooting steps for edge lighting: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077671/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I went thru that already. The edge lighting works with 3rd party apps like Twitter and Yahoo mail when the screen is on, but no edge lighting for the AOD. The default samsung messages app does work as intended where the edge lighting and pop up shows on the AOD.

Highlighted
Constellation

Bring back the red LED light on the top bar. What were they thinkin?🤔

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

i agree

Highlighted
Constellation

Using S20+ unlocked on AT&T. I've had a lot of issues. It flat out does not work when the screen is off. This is really puzzling becuase previous to them killing the LED notification on other models, literally every notification from every app triggered the light to flash. I don't understand why it's so difficult for this fuctionality to be the same with edge lighting. I also cannot get it to trigger with notification reminders either. I've really read all I can from the web when searching this issue. Seems it's been a major problem since the S10. In this forum I've seen Samsung link the same answer (the one you were provided) as a solution over and over, which doesn't really help AT ALL. 

Highlighted
Constellation

I'm using the s20 unlocked on ATT and having the same problem.  Its kinda infuriating.  I wonder is this because the phone is unlocked. Which would suck features are hindered because we don't want to be locked down. Or is it just an issue with the unlocked versions 

Highlighted
Constellation

It's a Google issue, not a Samsung issue. Google Messages doesn't wake the phone, thus no notification. You can install Glimpse notifications and add Google Messages as the only app allowed, then edge lighting will work. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Edge lighting doesn't work consistently for me either. Notificaitons don't wake up the phone, so I did download the glimpse notification app. However, I've pretty much given up on getting this phone to do all the simple tasks consistently like my iPhone did. I like the hardware better than an iphone, but not the software.  First world problems anyways. 

Highlighted
Constellation

It's easy to blame the phone but in this case it's the app developer.  Google Messages doesn't trigger a wake screen command.  Not sure if it's an oversight, or maybe they think with LED lights and Always on Displays they deem it unnecessary.  

The beauty of Android is that you can almost always make it work the way you want.

Also, I forgot to mention that you need to go into Edge Lighting settings and make sure both Google Messages and Glimpse are enabled.