Original topic:

Gallery App Has No Preview Thumbnail For Videos

(Topic created: 06-22-2022 05:26 PM)
persona1122
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
After downloading the June update, my gallery app no longer displays thumbnails for video files. It just shows the first frame of the file, which is usually black. Before the update, it showed preview images, and in the My Files app, the files still show their correct preview thumbnails. I have dozens of video clips, but without the preview thumbnails there is no way to tell what is what, and the app is basically unusable. I've tried resetting the cache and moving the files on and off the phone, but nothing has worked. Is anyone else having this issue? 
6 Replies
Options
Galaxy S20
Did you at some point enable the Labs menu in the Gallery? If you have then while you were checking out the extra options you might have accidentally enabled "Video thumbnail policy V2" which takes the first frame as the thumbnail instead of a frame at the 15 second mark.
0 Likes
persona1122
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
No, I have never used that menu before. I looked up how to enable it after you asked, and I don't even see any options like that inside it.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
It may be device specific. Turning that option on would just make you keep having the problem anyway. It was just the first thing that came to mind when I read the question.

One more thing to try. Go to Apps>Gallery>Storage>Clear Cache
That will make it rebuild the thumbnails and maybe solve your problem.
0 Likes
persona1122
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Unfortunately, clearing the cache and data has not changed anything. Strangely, all the video files have correct thumbnails when viewed in the My Files app. It's only the Gallery app that seems to have broken with this update.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
Oof. Sorry I can't figure out a fix for ya.
Here's one thing to try that's not a proper fix, but better than nothing.

I'm assuming you're using the default view when you're looking at the thumbnails in your gallery. What you can try is zooming in on the gallery (using a reverse pinching gesture) until the video thumbnails are in a single row. At this point it should start playing a preview of the videos as you scroll through the list.

Hope that helps because I'm officially all out of ideas. My only other solution is to just get MX Video player and use that.
0 Likes
persona1122
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Thank you for the suggestions. For now, the Samsung Video app displays all the videos correctly with the same thumbnails they had before the update, so I can just use it for video files and hope that Gallery gets fixed by a later update.
0 Likes