JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Google Duo in video call effects

(Topic created: 01-01-2021 02:38 PM)
userPJMpKwtEJE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have an S20 Ultra. I'm unable to use effects during video calls in Google Duo. I can use them while making a video message to send, but not during video calls. Family members using the Apple Duo app can use effects during video calls, as can a user who's using the web and not an app. 

My phone is the most up to date device, and it's a Google device. I find this really odd. Can someone help fix this, or is this a known issue? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
xstahsie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

It's a Samsung issue. There's a fix for this. Go to the Google Play Store, search for Google Duo, click on the uninstall button. Then download and install the latest version of Google Duo from APK Mirror.

Works great on my Galaxy S21 Ultra. The effects button shows up during video calls. Keep in mind that the Galaxy AR Amoji will not be available as an option.

The only issue is if you accidently update Google Duo via Google Play Store, you'll need to re-install the Google Duo APK that you got from APK Mirror.

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
userOR8Btv6dHa
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I am having the same problem with my Note20 Ultra. My fiance has the s10 and is able to use effects during video calls. I've left a review on the app page and they said that I might be running an old version of android even though I mentioned that I'm running the latest version. Hopefully they fix this soon!

0 Likes
Solution
xstahsie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

It's a Samsung issue. There's a fix for this. Go to the Google Play Store, search for Google Duo, click on the uninstall button. Then download and install the latest version of Google Duo from APK Mirror.

Works great on my Galaxy S21 Ultra. The effects button shows up during video calls. Keep in mind that the Galaxy AR Amoji will not be available as an option.

The only issue is if you accidently update Google Duo via Google Play Store, you'll need to re-install the Google Duo APK that you got from APK Mirror.

0 Likes
ezeddie
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
@xstahsie which variant of S21 Ultra do you have? I have ATT S21 Ultra 512 GB and I am having this problem as well where when I want to record a message I am presented with a bunch of effects. When in live video chat I only have about 5. I tried to Uninstall the Duo update (since you can't fully uninstall easily) and installed the latest from apkmirror that was 480dpi. The effects aren't there. This is annoying because they were all my Note 10+ I traded in.
0 Likes
xstahsie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
Hi there, I have the T-Mobile S21 Ultra 128 GB variant. The Google Duo apk I downloaded from apkmirror was done 6 days ago and the file name is com.google.android.apps.tachyon_123.0.354349439.DR123_RC03-3040301_minAPI21(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,x86,x86_64)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

It's possible that you need the nodpi version and not the 480 dpi.

You are correct as you cannot fully uninstall Google Duo and can only uninstall the Duo update via Play Store.

On apkmirror.com, search for Google Duo, look for the download links that says 2 variants. Click on the one you want and download the one that has the following: APK, universal, Android 5.0+, nodpi.

At the time of writing, the latest one that has 2 variants was posted on Feb 5, 2021.

Hopefully that helps.