cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

HDR not working on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra (512GB)!

Hello everyone,

Am I the only one disappointed with S20Ultra cameras so far? For a $1,6k phone this is just ridiculous...

Ok, the autofocus issue was fixed with the recent update (mine downloaded this morning, unlocked device, Snapdragon US version), but what about HDR??? It's horrible! Does absolutely nothing in the shadows! Super contrasty and just blows everything to black.

See below the comparison with my Note10+ that I'm now very hesitant to sell:

file1.png

The oven details are gone, the stuff behind the curtain is also barely visible. So HDR neither showed the darks nor the highlights.

file2.png

Same image cropped. How is that OK compared to last year device?...

file3.png

Trash bin details are gone, the chair is pitch black, the water bottles bag is super deep blue while it's not.

And of course the only thing you can do is set HDR to Auto (Note10 has more HDR settings):

Screenshot_20200327-105520_Camera.jpg

I tried with and without HDR, with and without scene optimizer, before and after the "camera fix" firmware update.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: HDR not working on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra (512GB)!

hi! have you tried toggling the function on and off? it could be a minor block flipping it on and off could kickstart it again. i hope this helps! if not try a soft reset and see if that works as well.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying. As I said I tried it with and without HDR setting, which means I turned it off and on several times.

I tried again just now: took a picture with HDR off, the pop up with a button showed up on the screen saying "Try turning HDR on", I turned it on, took another picture. The result looks exactly the same lol.

Highlighted
Product Expert

oohhf, same results huh lol. that's not good.i tagged a moderator to look into the block you're facing i am sorry that its still happening. HDR is a feature i love to use and really makes the image pop! 

@SamsungMoon 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks Brian, looking forward to hearing from the moderator.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@Nick83 Can you try clearing cache and data on camera app? Everytime there is a camera update would be better to clear those previous data saved so that way it will not carry over to the new software.

On S20U HDR will only trigger if there is enough lighting unlike Note 10+ it has HDR always on. SO in that kind of lighting maybe use Night mode to capture better quality.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hello, 

Thank you for the suggestions. So I tried force-stopping the app and clearing its cache and data. Same results. 

As for Note10 - the HDR can be set to Always apply or Apply when needed. Mine was always set to Apply when needed. With S20U it's only "Auto".

The thing is both phones show HDR sign in the corner when I take the shot, meaning they both find it necessary to apply it at the time. But the outcome is drastically different. And I don't think using night mode all the time is a good solution either.

I've had all the Note models since Note3, as well as S7 and S8. They've always been an improvement over the previous model. And this, so far, is the most disappointing experience I've had with a Samsung device. Not to mention the price tag. Really sad. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Just tried on mine (European Exynos version,  128gb, latest update installed), and same effect. That is... no visible effect of the HDR.

Highlighted
Asteroid

My point exactly. The HDR is on and is applied by the phone, but does NOTHING. 

Highlighted
Constellation

This is the first thing I noticed, even while testing it at Samsung store prior to buying it. I have s20+ Exynos model. My previous phone was Huawei Mate 20 Pro.

The thing about HDR on s20 is that it works for highlights! It's just shadows that DOESN't work, and I cannot believe nobody at Samsung has noticed this by now.....

I sinceraly hope this gets fixed ASAP!