JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Hard press home button gone on S20?

(Topic created: 03-05-2020 05:12 AM)
userN8gVUbQVIA
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Just got my S20 and it seems like the hard press home button feature is gone. I had gotten used to it with my S9. I'm guessing this is because of the new fingerprint reader. Or am I missing something? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@userN8gVUbQVIA 

As another user pointed out, it was actually removed a year ago, with the S10 line, and of course also missing from the Note10. Maybe because of the fingerprint reader, or maybe because gestures features. I guessed a while back that the hard press option was pretty much there to help people transition from a physical home button to on screen buttons, and by the S10 generation, they assumed (or have data confirming it) that most people got used to virtual buttons or gestures and the feature was no longer needed. I also loved it on the S9+ and Note9, but got used to not having it very quickly and don't miss it at all at this point. 

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

View solution in context

15 Replies
Ken C
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20

Correct. The home button press was discontinued with the S10 line.

Options
Galaxy S20

@Ken C wrote:

Correct. The home button press was discontinued with the S10 line.

What?  The screen home button is gone?  My current phone is a S8+, and have always had the home button.

userN8gVUbQVIA
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

The button is still there but the force touch part is gone. I liked it cause it worked over any app that was running. 

userbdDjYn48RQ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Yes the hard-pressed is gone. However you can simply double tap the screen to wake now instead.  Serves the same purpose but maybe a little less satisfying. 

userN8gVUbQVIA
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Yeah, I've gotten used to the screen turning on when I pick up the phone. It was more for the convenience of hard pressing the home button to get out of any app I'm in. I can drag the on-screen buttons from the bottom, but will just take some adjustment time.

userR6eLvfDxX9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
And only works 50% of the time for some reason
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S20

An Accepted Solution has been marked and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. If you have a separate concern, feel free to post again or send one of our moderators a private message with more details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find resolutions and needed content. Remember that if you do make a post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring with your product. Thank you for being part of the community!

0 Likes
Solution
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@userN8gVUbQVIA 

As another user pointed out, it was actually removed a year ago, with the S10 line, and of course also missing from the Note10. Maybe because of the fingerprint reader, or maybe because gestures features. I guessed a while back that the hard press option was pretty much there to help people transition from a physical home button to on screen buttons, and by the S10 generation, they assumed (or have data confirming it) that most people got used to virtual buttons or gestures and the feature was no longer needed. I also loved it on the S9+ and Note9, but got used to not having it very quickly and don't miss it at all at this point. 

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

Tom2022
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I switched from the S8 to the S10 when the S10 launched, and I still miss the hard press home button quite frequently. It was so much easier when exiting full screen apps, rather than having to swipe once to reveal the navbar, then again to go home.