cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

How is Samsung going to take care of us if the S20 Ultra camera problems are hardware?

My wife and I both ordered S20 Ultra phones because of the camera Samsung promoted at its unvailing. We were perfectly happy with our S8s, but the camera was too much to resist. Well the camera doesn't even come close to what it was promised to be. There are dozens of Youtube videos showing how much better the photos coming out of the phones of other manufactures are so much better. The Ultra has so many issues, focus issues, lack of sharpness in many situtations. The 108mp sensor photos look terrible with what looks like over sharpening. We never expected the zoom to produce usable photos at 100x, it was a joke to even promote it. But the photos start looking soft as soon as you get past 10x. Look at a 30x photo from a P40 vs the Ultra, the P40 is much sharper. Low light photos are terrible compared to many cameras. We are told to wait for fixes. How long? I still have to make the payments on the phones while not being able to shoot the photos I would like to. The Ultra is Samsungs flagship phone. How could it possibably been shipped with such a terrible camera. If it turns out that the issues can't be fixed with updates, what is Samsung going to do to provide us with a phone with a camera that does what it is supposed to?  I would expect at the very least them to provide a way to update to the next version of the phone with these problems fixed at a cost that we don't lose money.  This is a top of the line phone and I expect top of the line customer service. So far, not so much.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: How is Samsung going to take care of us if the S20 Ultra camera problems are hardware?

Normally, if you're not happy with a product, you return it while you still can. Or sell it and get something that works better for you. All manufacturers promote a lot of stuff, but it's up to us to decide if we like the product or not. The camera on the S20 Ultra is a different beast. There are people, and on YouTube too, that get amazing photos from it, and love it. But it appears that for those of us that just want to point and shoot, it might be a bit too much to handle. I did switch back from the S20 Ultra to the Note 10+. Not only because of the camera, but it was one of the reasons. I'm not upset with Samsung, I just decided to wait for something else, maybe the next Note, or maybe I'll wait for Note 21.

I guess my point is, I wouldn't expect them to do anything special for anyone since users choose to stick with a phone. It's not some issue that came up months after the launch, whatever issues the camera may have are widely known from day one. And many people don't even agree there are any issues and still love the device and the camera. I guess it depends on what kind of photography we do.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: How is Samsung going to take care of us if the S20 Ultra camera problems are hardware?

Sorry Geno71 but why should the purchaser of a product have to take a financial hit when a manufacture fails to deliever the product they promised. To have to sell our two S20 Ultras and take a loss, to then have to turn around and purchase other phones is . My wife and I are both into photography and understand how to take pictures both with our dSLRs and cell phones. Yes the S20 Ultra can take some good photos in the right conditions. But it is inconsistant and does a poor job in many areas. This is not just because people don't know how to use them. These problems are very well documented on youtube by bloggers who are very much into cell phone cameras. There are many comparisons to other flagship cameras on the market. The S20 Ultra is currently a fail, and I shouldn't have to loose time and money because Samsung put the phone out before it was fully functional.  No different than the exploding batteries. They need to make Ultra owners who bought the phone for what the camera was supposed to do, whole, with a product that works. There should be no other acceptable answer !!!

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

@Geno71- I think "tread carefully" approach is required here because as I mentioned in another reply to a similar post, Samsung didn't market this phone to be a "professional photographer" phone only. It was marketed as Samsung's top of the line S series and it was touted to be better than any of the other S series phones.

There was no caveat or fine print to state that "this phone is not for you if you simply want a point and click".

If I take this to the consumer affairs department of any developed government in the world, I think we will have a very good chance of forcing Samsung's hand but giving someone an opportunity to do what's right and correct a mistake is what ordinary people do. In Samsung's case, they will lose the trust of their top end customers. Their brand will be forever tarnished.

I think as a "Care ambassador", you need to champion Samsung's top tier consumer's concerns and bring the case to Samsung instead of simply asking us to return our phones. Sure. We can. But seriously, it sounds like a "I do not care" attitude to me.

Samsung Care Ambassador

I think there is some confusion. A Samsung Care Ambassador is a Community rank, but I don't work for Samsung, and have no more power to ask them to do anything that anyone else does. I just share my personal opinions on the situation and don't mean to offend anyone, but I think sugarcoating and agreeing with everything would also be doing us all a disservice. We can be hopeful, but we have to also be realistic. 

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Maybe you should be called "Community Forum Ambassador" instead. Care only means one thing in my books particularly if your title says "Samsung United States Care Ambassador". Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Back on topic. I think there are a number of discussions. Both here and in other forums, websites, reviews, etc etc that call out that the camera on the S20 Ultra has been anything but numbers.

I have seen Apple fanatics bag Samsung phones before and have always taken them with a grain of salt but when I see statements from actual Samsung S20 Ultra owners and reviewers that I have always looked upon as independent, I think something else is going on here. So no, you wouldn't be sugar coating this issue because there is a sizeable callout that the camera has really disappointed here.