cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

How to get the most out of battery with S20+

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had a new s20+ for about a week now, I am reading so many confusing things about how to get the best out of my battery life long term. please clarify

- i have heard that the fast charger is quicker but not great for long term life and that for long term life, slow charging is better - is that myth or true? if so how do you slow charge?

- i have heard you should charge in small time chunks i.e. keep the phone between about 30% and 75% don't go too low or too high, myth or true?

- but i have also heard to train the battery to start with you should drain it fully and charging it fully?  is myth or true? (and if so does thatonly work when it first brand new

- that the charging leads makes a difference to the charging, and using for example the s9 or s10 lead is not as good as the s20 lead , myth or true?

- that when it is on 100% it is not really on 100% you need to leave it for longer, myth or true?

please answer these question specifically as you can, rather than generic information thank you !

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: How to get the most out of battery with S20+

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userqvoU6zuzv0 ,

@LongHiker is absolutely right. It honestly depends on the personal usage of the device. It varies from person to person. Your specific usage is what determines your battery life. 

If you want to slow charge then navigate to settings>device care>battery>settings>at the bottom you will be able to toggle to turn off fast charging and fast wireless charging.

Charge your device as you please to 75% or 100%. The battery is caliberated once it dies for the first time when you first purchase it and charges to 100% after that do not let your battery die as it will throw off the set caliberations.

Always be sure to use a genuine Samsung cable and adapter because using any third party/nongenuine chargers will cause a decrease in battery life. It does not give your device the proper charger. Only use the charger your device came with after about a year or so replace it with a new genuine Samsung charger. 

Keep your screen brightness midway to perserve battery life and prevent any screen damage. Only increase brightness when necessary. 

Use the device care option in settings to optimize your device and Samsung Members app to notify you when your device needs attention. 

This should be everything you need to prolong your battery and device life. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Modern batteries do not need any "training". The best rule to follow is to enjoy life and charge when it is convenient for you. Other than that, don't let the battery go dead. I start thinking of charging when it gets to 30% . 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

yes i appreciate i could take that view, it seems contrary to other advice, and what samsung themselves say on their various websites, so I was looking for an expert opion on my questions, thanks

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Charging is like religion. Ask 1000 people and get 1000 opinions. It isn't worth obsessing about. 

I have had many Samsung (and other) phones over the years and never had a battery issue. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

well i have had issues. many times sadly.

and yes i realise there are lots of different views

but the reason I was posting on an official samsug site, not some random group was I hoping to get an answer from an expert, not personal opinon, thanks for trying to help anyway

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userqvoU6zuzv0 ,

@LongHiker is absolutely right. It honestly depends on the personal usage of the device. It varies from person to person. Your specific usage is what determines your battery life. 

If you want to slow charge then navigate to settings>device care>battery>settings>at the bottom you will be able to toggle to turn off fast charging and fast wireless charging.

Charge your device as you please to 75% or 100%. The battery is caliberated once it dies for the first time when you first purchase it and charges to 100% after that do not let your battery die as it will throw off the set caliberations.

Always be sure to use a genuine Samsung cable and adapter because using any third party/nongenuine chargers will cause a decrease in battery life. It does not give your device the proper charger. Only use the charger your device came with after about a year or so replace it with a new genuine Samsung charger. 

Keep your screen brightness midway to perserve battery life and prevent any screen damage. Only increase brightness when necessary. 

Use the device care option in settings to optimize your device and Samsung Members app to notify you when your device needs attention. 

This should be everything you need to prolong your battery and device life. 

View solution in original post