cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

I think Samsung is making a mistake.

I personally think Samsung is making a mistake with 5G here in the USA, as there will be no 4GLTE variant available. This partially due to the Snapdragon 865 chip and partially due to greed. 5G is nowhere close to being usable right now. It will probably be another 3-5 years before they get things ironed out. MMwave is extremely spotty and only available in certain areas of certain cities and low band is not much more than enhanced 4G LTE, with an extremely modest speed gain under ideal conditions. Currently, there is no industry standard.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: I think Samsung is making a mistake.

The 5G variant defaults to 4G 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Hey @Jim262 

What you're saying makes sense, but I actually think it would be a mistake not to push 5G. Not because it's here and ready for prime time, it's not even close, but the industry got to the point of marketing 5G as the main selling point, carriers and other manufacturers. You know your stuff but the average consumer doesn't. When people see and hear 5G everywhere, they want it, even if they have no idea if they will ever even connect to it. Samsung knows that their competition is going to be all over it, so they're proactively jumping in first. US carriers want people to think the 5G is here, and Samsung doesn't want to appear outdated. IMO

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Asteroid

@geno 71

Everything you say is true, but what do you think is going to happen when all those users get their brand new shiny 5G phones and discover that it doesn't work?

Highlighted
Constellation

I share the same sentiments about 5G. The sad thing about it, the average consumer don't even know what 5G is and means. Most people have 5G WiFi at work and at home and the phone they currently use have dual band WiFi compatibility and that's all that is needed right now. Most people don't even want to pay for the most expensive data plan ("the best one") with their carrier

Highlighted
Comet

I understand where you're coming from. But if Samsung doesn't make the first push, they'll end up not innovating for people wanting to future proof their devices. I'm sure plenty of buyers will be happy their phone will have 5G service even if they do get the service in 2 years or so.

Highlighted
Astronaut

It's just another phone manufacturer, leavening a lot of customers unable to afford the phones to use the 5G. ridiculous paying a $1000 for phone.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@TSALAGI_CwyN8v wrote:

It's just another phone manufacturer, leavening a lot of customers unable to afford the phones to use the 5G. ridiculous paying a $1000 for phone.

But with trade-ins and other offers, do most people actually pay $1000 for a phone? 

For people that don't want to spend too much, and don't need or want 5G, there is still the S10 line at lower prices.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@Jim262 5G is the future. Carriers are racing to deploy 5G this is due to the burden of congestion that the network has to suffer every day. Ever notice lag and video buffer when you watch livestreams and videos online? this is because of congestion that 4G can't handle. LTE can only carry data up to 20Mhz bandwidth while 5G can go upto 100Mhz or higher. I want 5G just because my data plan is unlimited and I can benefit the full speed of my phone that support 5G. 

LTE will not be gone it will work with 5G simultaneously. Because 5G millimeter wave can not go far it will still use LTE for voice calls but 3G will be gone soon!

There will be 4G S20 variants, right now they're only being targeted for India. Our 4G sim cards will work in the S20 5G's.