cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

In-Screen Fingerprint scanner

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hello, I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S9+. I am happy with the finger print scanner on this phone as it works the majority of the time. I have heard bad things on the fingerprint scanner on the fingerprint scanner of the Galaxy S10, and have not heard of improvements on the Galaxy S20 or S20 Note Series. Also, I do not like Facial Recognition works on the S9+, since the phone has to be placed right in front of your face at a very specific area so it could capture your face. What is your experience with this? I want to upgrade, but not if I lose on fingerprint scanning, and no improvements on facial recognition .
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sun

Re: In-Screen Fingerprint scanner

JUMP TO SOLUTION
The fingerprint scanner has definitely been improved with the S20 series. I always recommend registering the same fingerprint twice for a faster more reliable experience. Facial recognition has been working fast as well. Samsung is definitely making improvements so no need to worry. I hope this helps.
If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION
overall it's decent. there are many tricks to registering your prints to get the sensor to work better and there has been improvements made through updates.

never used facial.
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hello @dcaldera1

I will say, when I had gotten my S10+ last year I had a hard time with the fingerprint scanner. I used my pin or facial recognition most times to unlock my phone. But then I read about registering the main finger I'd use to unlock it, as different fingerprints. That actually helped a lot, and as Samsung kept updating their software, it got better. Now with my S20 Ultra, I hardly ever have a problem with my fingerprint failing to unlock my phone. And as far as the facial recognition, it works perfectly well if you're in a well lit area. The problems with it not unlocking will happen if you're in a dim lighting situation. And obviously facial recognition won't work with a face mask on. Hope I was able to help you decide, I'd say you'd enjoy the new S20+ or Note 20 😊
*if I have helped you, please like this post ❤️ If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a solution ✅ Hope you have a great day!
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Re: In-Screen Fingerprint scanner

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thank you for your response. My question is face recognition good enough that it doesn't have to be directly in front of you? were you could have it at an angle and it will open?
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sorry, I didn't get that....well I wasn't sure if it would work at an angle,so I just tried it on my S20 Ultra. Now I wasn't doing like a full side profile trying to unlock my phone, but I tried it off both sides of my face and it worked! I never tried unlocking like that, always just put the phone up to the front of my face out of habit, lol. But it worked if that helps you at all 😊

*if I have helped you, please like this post ❤️ If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a solution ✅ Hope you have a great day!
Highlighted
Sun

JUMP TO SOLUTION
The fingerprint scanner has definitely been improved with the S20 series. I always recommend registering the same fingerprint twice for a faster more reliable experience. Facial recognition has been working fast as well. Samsung is definitely making improvements so no need to worry. I hope this helps.
If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thank you, I am definitely looking at upgrading.
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Don't be fooled. The scanner on the s20 is still total garbage! I just switched from a s9 plus to a s20 plus and it's been a month and I regret it. I have to focus so much on the unlock process of this krap  phone that it takes away the joy of using it because I have to go through multiple failed unlock attempts before I can get in the phone.

And yes I know all the tricks of adding fingers etc so let's not even go there. Samsung should just push a software update that cuts the "security" by 50% and makes the scanner more forgiving.