cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Iris/face recognition in samsung pay

I recently upgraded from the S8+ to the S20+.  I loved being able to unlock Samsung pay with iris recognition on the S8+  and in this day and age of COVID19 I don't want to keep taking off my glove to unlock the phone at the store.  Does the S20+ not have this feature in the app?  I've tried several times to try to set up but can't seem to find it.  Does anyone know about this?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Comet

Re: Iris/face recognition in samsung pay

Try setting up face recognition in "Biometrics and Security" in your Settings menu once you do that you should be able to use it for Samsung Pay. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

I tried that and it still didn't work!  Let me try it again.....

Highlighted
Comet

@userMx74FMiQ07 wrote:

I tried that and it still didn't work!  Let me try it again.....

Edit: Facial Recognition is unavailable for Samsung Pay unfortunately. Sorry about that 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001338/

Highlighted
Asteroid

Boo!  That stinks!  Thanks for the help!  Stay safe!

Highlighted
Comet

You're welcome, Stay Safe as well.

Samsung Care Ambassador

Hi @userMx74FMiQ07 

The reason it's not available is because there is no Iris scanner on the phone (S8 has a physical scanner above the screen, but there is simply no room for it on the S20), and the regular face unlock is not considered secure enough for Samsung Pay. With Covid-19, there are new challenges for biometric security users. Fingerprint scanners are affected by gloves and face unlocks don't work with masks of course. It's not just a Samsung issue. We have a couple of iPhones in our family, and the face ID doesn't work too. 

In those rare cases we have to go out for something, we just have to use pin numbers or passwords. Until this whole virus thing blows over.

Stay safe 😷

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1