cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Issue with Camera Autofocus S20 Ultra is it solved remotely or is it a phone defect?

I tried all the methods advised by the Samsung administration, and none of the methods helped. The only solution is to take the phone to diagnostics. But what will it give if Samsung Care is told that everything is fine with the phone and the camera or say not good!? Although I already guess that all over the world they have instructed customers to say that everything is fine with your device. Although Samsung Corporation is well aware that they made a gross error in the device and that this cannot be resolved remotely. What customers need to do? File a class action lawsuit with evidence that last year’s devices took better photos than new ones or what? When any corporation, Volkswagen, Volvo or General Motors does't mater makes a marriage in their cars, they immediately recall their cars due to safety....here, if it doesn't harm security, can you be silenced?

I repeat the issue with camera is not fixed, when you take photos it’s not important though it will be a simple mode, night mode or macro mode, the photos are disgusting ( more precisely, the focus captures only the middle of the photo approximately as in the food mode, but the sharpness does not lead to the whole item, but to about 50-60% ). My old phone S10 Plus captured the sharpness of the whole items and I had no complaints about the photos.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Issue with Camera Autofocus S20 Ultra is it solved remotely or is it a phone defect?

Hi @userUaROfFxXaB 

That's a lot of brainstorming there. What can customers do? Return or sell the phone if it's not performing as they expected. There are many people that are very happy with the camera. To be honest, I wasn't, so I went back to Note 10+. It's also important to understand that not everything can be fixed with software. If your main issue is with the middle of the picture being sharp but other areas out of focus, it's not actually a focusing issue. It's called a shallow depth of field, it's a photography term and it's a technical limitation (and in some cases photographers want it, but probably not on a cell phone) of a large camera sensor. 

I think if there is a mistake that Samsung made and continues to make is that they position this device as the one for everyone, when it's really only geared towards actual professionals. Pro photographers get amazing results from it, as good as many current DSLRs, but an average user that just wants to point and shoot might experience some issues. There was a software update that improved focusing, so the camera can focus quicker and more reliably, but the effect you're describing is not related to focus, it's more of a photography physics thing. It is my understanding that they're working on another camera update, so they might try to address it there, but no guarantee that it's at all possible with software.

Right, so this was a lot of talking too, I think I can finish with one tip. Try not to be too close to your subject. You might get better results if you physically move the phone a couple of feet back and zoom in.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Issue with Camera Autofocus S20 Ultra is it solved remotely or is it a phone defect?

Then why this issue did not occur in S7 Edge, S8+, S9+, S10+ ???? Maybe you can answer why, when I point the camera at the item, the focus only captures 50% of the item's sharpness? Why? Why didn’t this happen with previous series? Why does this camera shoot like a cheap Chinese camera??? There are a lot of people on this forum who are not happy with the cameras of this lineUP S20.....

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

I can tell you exactly why, and I thought I made it clear in my last post, my apologies...

Depth of field refers to how much of the image will be in focus. And larger sensors have shallower DOF, and many photographers love it because it gives them that great looking natural bokeh (blurred background), but it's not great for taking pictures of food, or any items close to the camera. 

The S20 Ultra has a massive 108MP sensor, and the actual physical sensor is probably 4 times larger than any other smartphone, ever. So it naturally has that shallow DOF and when you take close up pics, you see the effects of it. It's not "only focusing" on the center of the frame, it is only capable of capturing the center of that frame in focus at that distance. 

Most cameras and lenses can compensate for it with difference aperture settings, but the S20 Ultras has a fixed aperture, so the only way to "fix" it for you is to move further from your subject, and zooming in. 

You can google it for more accurate explanation. The point here is the "issue" you're describing is not actually something that can be fixed with a software update. And it's not a defect. Maybe they can use machine learning and AI to make it less obvious, but the basic physics of optics and photography can't be changed with a software update. 

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1