cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

List of unacceptable camera issues - We need a response, Samsung

I'm a pro photographer and was hoping to see a big boost upgrading from the Note 9 to the S20 Ultra.  So far the experience has been miserable and now i'm wishing I wouldn't have sent my Note 9 back, which is pretty ridiculous for 1) a $1400 phone and 2) two years of tech advancement and development.

Here are my key concerns-  

• "Warning - Camera Failed" nearly every single time i open the camera app and take an image.  Doesn't matter which camera is selected (normal, ultrawide, telephoto).  Waiting for the app to force-close and then relaunching works, but 95% of the time I either miss the shot or get so fed up that I abandon the idea altogether.  This is absolutely unacceptable.  
  • Image quality is considerably worse than the Note 9.  Images are postprocessed to heck- fine details are smeared by noise reduction and then overly sharpened/clarity-boosted to look like flat JPEG messes.  Skin looks like plastic.  There's no depth or nuance to the images, at best they look like point and shoot snapshots from 10 years ago.  We need to be able to have some control over the amount of processing on our images.  "Use pro mode" is not an answer.  I need to be able to quickly open the camera and take a decent shot, not fiddle with settings for 30 seconds.  
  • HDR processing ruins most images.  The white point is not set properly, and comes out looking BLUE generally.  On landscapes and shots that include the sky for example, colors are way too saturated and the tone mapping is garish and way overdone.  Really bad halos around areas of high contrast.  
  • Autofocus, as many have already outlined.  Half my still images are back-focused. 
  • The space zoom feature is clearly a gimmick at this point.  Get rid of the 100x option, since nobody will actually use it to take a real photo due to the postprocessing issues i mentioned above.  

Overall i'm an extremely dissatisfied customer, and I know i'm not alone.  Please give us some answers.  I'm very active on social media and have been a big advocate for Samsung mobile photography in the past, but that is about to change unless we see some movement.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: List of unacceptable camera issues - We need a response, Samsung

How about this Samsung?? PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE S20'S ISSUESHow about this Samsung?? PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE S20'S ISSUES

Yes you are not alone! I am very dissatisfied as well.. If Samsung would not do something aboit this... I'll never buy any of their mobile phones AGAIN... I've been a galaxy user since the S4.. But this is the first time I get super dissatisfied about the camera... 😔😔😔

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I get that it's annoying, but these things happen when phones are released. I guarantee you that they're working on it rn and making sure no more bugs happen.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I agree. The auto focus on my S20ultra its trash 🚮

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I agree with a lot of the concerns you've noted. I just posted my own concerns, many of which are similar. I already returned an S20 Ultra for camera issues and decided to try the S20+, hoping for improvement. I'm about to return this phone now too, primarily due to the camera quality. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

In the same boat with my s20 unlocked version. Camera keeps failing every time I launch it, in addition the camera doesn't work on any social media platforms. Simply put, my camera won't launch successfully since getting this phone. I can't get a refund, because I traded in my pixel 3xl and I won't be getting that credit back if I were to be reimbursed for the s20. So I'm in just a crappy situation. Samsung customer service stated a T-Mobile software update would fix my problem. We will see. I'm hopeful, this lack of having a camera available has been taking it's toll on my patience, especially during this whole covid19 quarantine situation.