JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Loss of Mobile Data after 3.0 Update

(Topic created: 12-30-2020 06:05 PM)
userOeJWuT7ZuD
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I updated my S20+5G, Model Number SM-G986U1, to One UI 3.0 build G986U1UEU1CTKJ this morning before work. As I was headed in I noticed that I could not connect to the internet or any app that required mobile data. I am able to make call and send text messages that are not MMS. As soon as I connect to a wifi connection everything is working, i.e. I can get on the internet and use all of my apps.

Troubleshooting that I have done:

1. Reset Network setting-no change.

2. Hard reset-no change

3. Factory reset

- One with back up reinstalled- no change

- One with no back up installed- no change

4. Went to my service provider and we put my SIM in another S20+5g with out 3.0 update- Mobile Data worked.

-Also reset the SIM after testing- no change

Is there any solution for this? Can I revert back to the previous UI? 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userOeJWuT7ZuD
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Okay called Samsung and they told me to call T-mobile, go figure!

Anyways after a length discussion and even more trouble shooting steps, i.e. there was even more APN to try out, I found a solution. Updated APN Settings for unlocked or phones not bought at T-Mobile. See below:

1. In Settings, look under Wireless & Networks or tap the Connections tab.
    2. Touch Mobile network. You may need to touch More settings, More..., or More networks first.
    3. Touch Access Point Names.
  1. Touch the T-Mobile APN if one is available. If not, press the Menu key and touch new APN.
  2. Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN.
    • Name: T-Mobile
    • APN: Fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices) or epc.tmobile.com (for non-LTE devices)
    • Proxy: <Not set>
    • Port: <Not set>
    • Username: <Not set>
    • Password: <Not set>
    • Server: <Not set>
    • MMSChttp://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    • MMS proxy: <Not set>
    • MMS port: <Not set>
    • MMS protocol: WAP 2.0 (This was not on my phone)
    • MCC: 310
    • MNC: 260
    • Authentication Type: <Not set>
    • APN Type: default,supl,mms OR Internet+MMS
      • Default Android provides a text field to enter: default,supl,mms.
      • Samsung provides an Internet+MMS radio button to select.
    • APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    • APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6 or IPv4 only when roaming internationally
    • Turn APN on/off: Grayed out unless there are multiple APNs
    • Bearer: Unspecified
  3. Press the Menu key.
  4. Touch Save.
  5. Delete any other APNs that appear in the list. The FOTA APN can remain if available.
    • Touch the APN that needs to be removed.
    • Press the Menu key.
    • Touch Delete APN.
  6. Verify there is a circle next to the remaining APN.
  7. Perform a soft reset. Hold down the power button until the device turns off and restarts.
  8. Test the data connection and/or MMS by accessing the Web or sending a picture message.
  9. Complete additional troubleshooting if the APN settings are correct, but customers still experience issues.

After doing this my mobile data is back up!

The link to the page is attached: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings 

View solution in context

0 Likes
13 Replies
userOeJWuT7ZuD
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I forgot to add, that I have full bars of 5G service in my upper right corner of the phone and Speed Tester app, works when not on a wifi connection, shows I have a really good signal to my phone. 

0 Likes
Ekamek
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S20
Did you check your APN settings? Try installing Google Carrier Services app from the store. Hope you get it fixed soon.
0 Likes
matt1984
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi Ekamek. It appears the issue was realated to the APN settings. I was not able to reset or change it myself.  I finally contacted Tracfone support and they reset the APN through an automated service. I can now have access to the internet and Google Maps when away from wifi, using data. Installing Google Carrier Services was not necessary in this case. Thanks for the recommendation.

0 Likes
Ekamek
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S20
Glad it worked out for you.
0 Likes
matt1984
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I'm having same/similar issues as @userOeJWuT7ZuD for a week: when away from home my cell phone cannot connect to internet or Google Maps, etc. using data. I can make calls and text. I also have done a factory reset including many other changes to make sure mobile data is "on". Tried with Data Saver on and off. Uninstalled/reinstalled apps. I am using a Tracfone Samsung J7 only a few months old, using latest update of Android 9. When connected to any wifi, all works normally.

I am open to solutions, thank you.

0 Likes
matt1984
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Just an update: The loss of data connectivity issue was realated to the Access Point Names (APN) settings. I was not able to reset or change it myself.  I finally contacted Tracfone support and they reset the APN through an automated service. My cell phone's access has been restored to the internet and Google Maps when not connected to wifi, using data. For Tracfone users, text "APN" to 611611 and follow the replies. Or go to the Tracfone website, select Help, choose "Update data settings" and follow instructions.

0 Likes
oeagleo
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20

By any chance, you wouldn't be connected to T-mobile, in the US would you?  I had this exact same problem, and it was a couple of days before I noticed it, because if there's wi-fi present, T-mobile will hook up with it for the data.  I did everything that you have done, and while looking through these threads, I found a discussion (that escapes me now) that said that I needed an updated SIM that from T-mobile had the letters "R15" in red stamped on it.  That solved my problem.  You might check with your carrier if it's not T-mobile, and see if they have an updated SIM you can either try, or get.  

0 Likes
matt1984
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks @oeagleo ! This Tracfone goes through Verizon, but your experience does validate that I need to contact my provider. I've tried over a dozen different routes to change, clear, test, reset. I saw another person on a different community website who uses T-mobile and had the exact issue. Your feedback is appreciated.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
Connections> Data Usage > Mobile Data>toggled On
0 Likes