cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Major GPS issues with new Galaxy S20

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My new S20 has very slow and unreliable GPS lock issues.  Google Maps & Waze frequently show my location 1-2 miles away even outdoors in clear conditions.  GPS games also show the incorrect location or jump around frequently.  Sometimes a reboot fixes the issue temporarily but eventually it returns.  I didn't have this issue with the S10, this is really a terrible bug to have in a new flagship phone!  Is there an incoming fix or information on this problem?

Update on 3/15/2020: 

I chatted with a Samsung support person via the chat option on the website.  They had me calibrate my GPS from the Edge menu.  Note that on my phone I first had to enable the edge menu.  Once enabled swipe left to bring out the menu, and most importantly go to the little dots in the lower left and swipe again to get the "second level" edge menu (or second page).  Poor UI but it's there- a second page that has "Calibarate" Tally Counter, Flashlight, Surface level and Ruler.  Choose Calibrate and move phone in a figure 8 to calibrate.  I will retest out in the field and report back.

Note that on some carriers (not verizon) you can enter *#0*#, then tap Sensor, then Selftest under magnetic sensor and ensure it says "Pass".  Fingers crossed!

Update 3/18- none of the solutions in this thread has worked reliably for me.  If you google "galaxy s20 gps issue" you'll see growing coverage of this issue so hopefully it will get a solution soon.

Update 3/29- I received a system update a few days ago (G981U1UEU1ATCH/G981U1OYM1ATCH/G981U1UEU1ATCH)  but unfortunately the problem is still

occuring and not fixed. 

Update 5/10- It's working much better now, some sort of update must have been pushed and in conjuction with keeping 5G off I'm finding GPS pretty reliable now so am closing this issue.  Hopefully it will get fine tuned and even better.

Update 9/15/2020- I see many people are having this issue again so am unmarking it as solved.  I am not experiencing the issue anymore but others are.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Major GPS issues with new Galaxy S20

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Disable 5g and update phone to the latest update from Samsung seems to have fixed the issue.

Update 9/15/2020.  Although I am not experiencing this issue anymore, I see many users are having it again, possible some update broke it for some users. I am unmarking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

107 REPLIES 107
Highlighted
Astronaut

Cool

Highlighted
Asteroid

Temporary Solution for Google Maps

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I found a temporary solution for Google maps. It may not work for everybody. Here is a link to my original post.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/Major-GPS-issues-with-new-Galaxy-S20/m-p/1500760/high... 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

A few people with the problem after the update does not a problem with android 10 make. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for your research.  I've tried a few more things like using GPS Status to check the signal lock, cleared the cache on apps that use location, and made sure gps related apps have permission to always have location access.  Unfortunately it hasn't helped much.  I do have a feeling it's a software issue that will hopefully be fixed with an update.  I have the unlocked Samsung device on the Verizon network.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You have to calibrate the new s20 GPS. Forget how to get it to pop up. But it did on its own and mine was fixed immediately

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How do you calibrate the GPS. I have sprint/T-Mobile did the above *#0*# and got a pass. Any help how to calibrate apreciated.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issue on my Ultra and S20 plus. This should have already been fixed.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I got news for you pal, it's not just the S20. This has more to do with the weak network and radios put in these phones. 5G should do a lot to solve it, but Samsung needs to start building radios that can be updated to use 5G.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Having a stronger 5g signal isn't going to make a difference for gps signal. The former behind a tower on the ground and the latter being a satellite in space. And they are different frequencies that don't use the same internal antenna.