cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Major GPS issues with new Galaxy S20

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having this issue mostly with Waze on both an S20 and an S20+ Google maps seems to function ok. At first I thought it was Waze but doing some research it seems to be the phones. Waze takes an extremely long time to lock GPS and provide a location for navigation, on a few occasions it lost GPS during navigation and I was forced to go to Google maps to finish navigation. 

I downloaded an app to see which and how many satellites my phone was connected to and I found the phone seemed to have excellent connection with multiple satellites. Not sure what the issue is but it's incredibly annoying. 

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you google other phones with the snapdragon 5g combo, this is a concerning trend - the Note 10 plus 5G, the Oneplus 7tPro McLaren, etc. All of them have reports of these issues. Not sure how common or why some report the issue and others don't seem to share the concern. Hardware, software, or otherwise...?

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

GPS is horrible on the S20.  This is technology that seemed to work for decades.  Amazing that there are any issues. My wife and I use our matching S20 Ultra.  Sometimes hers works and mine show that we are in the middle of a lake or a few miles away.  Sometimes mine works and hers shows us in the middle of a forest.  Always interesting.  Can never trust.

When it works it is fast, does not consume much battery. 

When it does not work:

- Sometimes toggling Wi-Fi helps. Sometimes toggling location services. Sometimes restarting the phone does the trick.  More often, nothing helps. Makes me angry that we spent the money for the best phone that one can get.

- We did try the figure 8 waving thingee. Definitely did not work. Also, was hard to make that test succeed as well.  I believe that is really to improve the compass.  But who knows?  When nothing else works ...

- If you can connect where you are actually logged in to Wi-Fi - tends to work better. I think that is because Google combines GPS with known Wi-Fi locations.  However, one is rarely connected to Wi-Fi except at home, friends, relatives, etc.

- I have installed GPS test software. Even when the GPS is working right, it often loses it's position lock.

- Seems to be worse when it is cloudy / rainy / snow.

Very upset.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the exact same issue and I can't wait 15 minutes until my GPS gets an accurate location. I hope they fix it very very soon. It is so disappointing to buy a phone like this and have this kind of problem. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also have the GPS issue. My s20+ is unlocked. The GPS is not accurate. For instance. I'm already exactly at a place. But the GPS indicated I'm almost arriving there. Please fix it .Samsung ! This is a $1200 phone.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, both of my S20+(unlock, one running ATT and one running on Verizon) are having the same issue. I asked Samsung chat and they told me that they already seeing this issue and they are looking forward to using a software update to fix this issue in the next patch. I am so looking forward to fix this because I don't think it makes sense for a 1K USD phone that have this level major issue

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok, my replacement s20+ 512 unlocked and my brother's T-mobile 128 S20+ are both working reliably now with GPS. There must have been something in that update for the camera.

Now, it's rock solid. The best phone I've ever had. Well done, Samsung.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Add me to the list..have a S20+ unlocked from Samsung.  I can be sitting in my house and the phone will report it just jumped to a location a couple of miles away.  Always seems to be near the same location.  

I setup IFTTT to alert any time that I leave the area around my home so I could tell when it happens.  It does it 1-2 times a day while at home.  It is a real pain if you use apps like SmartThings and IFTTT to automate actions based on location.

I have tried all suggestions as well...no change.  Seems to have gotten worse after the most recent update.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Guys, try this.  I changed my Power mode to High Performance today and my Waze and Google Maps GPS worked fairly quick for me.  Not sure if this fixed the issue, but I'll be testing it for a week.  Please try and report back your results. 

Go to Settings -> Device Care -> Battery -> Power Mode -> select High Performance (keep Adaptive power saving option Off).

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user3YGUgVrvtC wrote:

Guys, try this.  I changed my Power mode to High Performance today and my Waze and Google Maps GPS worked fairly quick for me.  Not sure if this fixed the issue, but I'll be testing it for a week.  Please try and report back your results. 

Go to Settings -> Device Care -> Battery -> Power Mode -> select High Performance (keep Adaptive power saving option Off).

Okay, the issue came back this morning. So this didn't fix the issue.  Smiley Sad