JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Major GPS issues with new Galaxy S20

(Topic created: 04-16-2020 07:09 AM)
rainymars
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

My new S20 has very slow and unreliable GPS lock issues.  Google Maps & Waze frequently show my location 1-2 miles away even outdoors in clear conditions.  GPS games also show the incorrect location or jump around frequently.  Sometimes a reboot fixes the issue temporarily but eventually it returns.  I didn't have this issue with the S10, this is really a terrible bug to have in a new flagship phone!  Is there an incoming fix or information on this problem?

Update on 3/15/2020: 

I chatted with a Samsung support person via the chat option on the website.  They had me calibrate my GPS from the Edge menu.  Note that on my phone I first had to enable the edge menu.  Once enabled swipe left to bring out the menu, and most importantly go to the little dots in the lower left and swipe again to get the "second level" edge menu (or second page).  Poor UI but it's there- a second page that has "Calibarate" Tally Counter, Flashlight, Surface level and Ruler.  Choose Calibrate and move phone in a figure 8 to calibrate.  I will retest out in the field and report back.

Note that on some carriers (not verizon) you can enter *#0*#, then tap Sensor, then Selftest under magnetic sensor and ensure it says "Pass".  Fingers crossed!

Update 3/18- none of the solutions in this thread has worked reliably for me.  If you google "galaxy s20 gps issue" you'll see growing coverage of this issue so hopefully it will get a solution soon.

Update 3/29- I received a system update a few days ago (G981U1UEU1ATCH/G981U1OYM1ATCH/G981U1UEU1ATCH)  but unfortunately the problem is still

occuring and not fixed. 

Update 5/10- It's working much better now, some sort of update must have been pushed and in conjuction with keeping 5G off I'm finding GPS pretty reliable now so am closing this issue.  Hopefully it will get fine tuned and even better.

Update 9/15/2020- I see many people are having this issue again so am unmarking it as solved.  I am not experiencing the issue anymore but others are.

107 Replies
BlackOnyx6
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello @rainymars ,

Just following up because I noticed your post is still marked as unanswered. Have you received a resolution or would you like some assistance?

If you received a resolution be sure to list your solution so others can find the resolution as well. 

0 Likes
rainymars
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

No, unfortunately there still isn't a solution to this serious GPS issue many are having.  I've contact samsung support several times but there is currently no resolution.  I'm looking at options to get my money back now via a credit card chargeback since Samsung doens't appear to be fixing it, or at least communicating a plan.

0 Likes
user3ERJ3Z1dS2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have 2 s20 plus on verizon, they both have the gps issue,  tried resolving the issue with all samsung rep, and the ways on this thread.  my gps is still bouncing everywhere on google maps and waze,  impossible to acually use gps to get directions.  Frustrating,  when all my previous samsung phones worked fine.  Samsung fix this, Or i want my money back, a big reason to use a smart phone is for the gps.

0 Likes
userspM83NLMrQ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

GPS issues seem to have resolved in the past week.  Something was fixed somewhere.  

0 Likes
BombBiologist
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I also have this issue on my Galaxy S20+ unlocked. I'm on Verizon's network. I wish we didn't have quarantine right after I purchased the phone so I could've caught it sooner and returned it. Unfortunately I haven't had a need to use GPS since I've been stuck at home. Tried calibrating it a few times and had no change to how much the GPS jumps around. This is ridiculous. Accurate GPS should be standard on a phone.

0 Likes
Solution
rainymars
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Disable 5g and update phone to the latest update from Samsung seems to have fixed the issue.

Update 9/15/2020.  Although I am not experiencing this issue anymore, I see many users are having it again, possible some update broke it for some users. I am unmarking it as a solution.

View solution in context

0 Likes
userOOte9cT2ME
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Just purchased the S20+, and with the latest August update, I am still losing GPS.  I can turn off Location Services and them turn it back on and GPS comes back for a while.  If that doesn't work, I have to reboot.  I feel like I went backwards from the S10! G986USQU1ATGL

userXIfHYJryAb
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I have the same issue with my s20 purchased in July.  Can get it working for a few minutes and then goes off again.  

user1JjSmZhB4v
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Still having GPS issues and this is not a solution that works - can this be unmarked as solved? Seems there are many others having the same continuing GPS issues.

I am on T-Mobile with the standard Galaxy S20.

0 Likes
rainymars
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I unmarked it as solved as people seem to be having the issue again, although I am not personally.

0 Likes