JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Major GPS issues with new Galaxy S20

(Topic created on: 9/28/20 11:15 AM)
rainymars
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

My new S20 has very slow and unreliable GPS lock issues.  Google Maps & Waze frequently show my location 1-2 miles away even outdoors in clear conditions.  GPS games also show the incorrect location or jump around frequently.  Sometimes a reboot fixes the issue temporarily but eventually it returns.  I didn't have this issue with the S10, this is really a terrible bug to have in a new flagship phone!  Is there an incoming fix or information on this problem?

Update on 3/15/2020: 

I chatted with a Samsung support person via the chat option on the website.  They had me calibrate my GPS from the Edge menu.  Note that on my phone I first had to enable the edge menu.  Once enabled swipe left to bring out the menu, and most importantly go to the little dots in the lower left and swipe again to get the "second level" edge menu (or second page).  Poor UI but it's there- a second page that has "Calibarate" Tally Counter, Flashlight, Surface level and Ruler.  Choose Calibrate and move phone in a figure 8 to calibrate.  I will retest out in the field and report back.

Note that on some carriers (not verizon) you can enter *#0*#, then tap Sensor, then Selftest under magnetic sensor and ensure it says "Pass".  Fingers crossed!

Update 3/18- none of the solutions in this thread has worked reliably for me.  If you google "galaxy s20 gps issue" you'll see growing coverage of this issue so hopefully it will get a solution soon.

Update 3/29- I received a system update a few days ago (G981U1UEU1ATCH/G981U1OYM1ATCH/G981U1UEU1ATCH)  but unfortunately the problem is still

occuring and not fixed. 

Update 5/10- It's working much better now, some sort of update must have been pushed and in conjuction with keeping 5G off I'm finding GPS pretty reliable now so am closing this issue.  Hopefully it will get fine tuned and even better.

Update 9/15/2020- I see many people are having this issue again so am unmarking it as solved.  I am not experiencing the issue anymore but others are.

107 Replies
userQzdsAU1tNU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Help!!!!  My S20 keeps losing GPS signal or its lagging really bad

0 Likes
userhRYnqqenWM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Mine has been getting worse lately, most notably using Waze. However, today on my run, a path I run three times a week, it registered a full half mile shorter than the exact same track. This is ridiculous.

0 Likes
noyeemturjo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
I am having the same issue.. after paying 1200 for a phone and gps dont work like seriously..brand like samsung should know better ..
0 Likes
Asylum1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Same problem here. S20+ and I'm on T-Mobile. 

0 Likes
usereoOTdwvtUE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
we all seem to have the same problem with the GPS. hopefully Samsung will acknowledge their responsibility by repairing/ replacing our phones. we are paying to much for this phone not to work how we expected it to.
0 Likes
userYHBXeHLPhK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I can't seem to reach them and it seems like no one in this thread can either. I spent $1200 on this paper weight (and I'm assuming you all did as well) and it doesn't work. They can't even acknowledge a problem. As much as I hate to say it, I may switch to Apple next time.

0 Likes
userYlUQHdTM8w
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

My GPS is no longer functioning correctly. Have not had any issues to date. Just started 2 weeks ago I believ with an update. Google Maps and Waze is just garbage now. 

GPS only locking after a restart.

Tmobile Galaxy S20 Plus 

0 Likes
Asylum1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I turned 5G off and now it's working for me. 

0 Likes
usermWp90byhrH
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Been helping a friend with his S20.

All settings are correct, Google Location on, high precision, he is in non 5G area and 5G is turned off.

2.5 hours and still no GPS lock.

Samsung - I have been a solid buyer of phones for myself and corporate use, if this is not fixed we won't be shopping Samsung again.

0 Likes
renze
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I've been experiencing this GPS issue for at least the past two weeks now. My GPS location is randomly all over the place when recording my cycling activity.

I've included a side-by-side screenshot of two identical bike rides -- one from the week before the issue began and one from the past week. 

20200927 - Samsung S20 GPS Issue.png

As a side note, my last 30-mile bike ride (on the right-hand side of the image) was logged as 85 miles due to all of these random deviations in location.

A new software update just became available last night, so I'm hoping that it fixes this issue. I guess I'll find out this weekend when I go for my next bike ride. I'll try to provide an update once I know more.

Data Science Consultant