cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Major GPS issues with new Galaxy S20

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just a quick follow-up to my previous post. I went for another bike ride this weekend and everything appears to be working fine with the GPS now. So, I believe the issue was fixed in the Android/Samsung software update that I installed on Sept 29, 2020. Hopefully, this information helps others who were struggling with the same issue.

strava-3.png

Data Science Consultant
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I left a comment on one of their Facebook ads and someone finally got in touch with me. They had me do.all the usual resets and whatnot. Nothing. Said I would have to wait for an update. Well, the update came and guess what? Nothing. Same issue. This stinks. I jave also been a loyal Samsung guy and I think this is my last one. $1200 down the toilet. Thanks samsung. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've also been a loyal Samsung customer since the Galaxy s2. To date, I realize that I have indulged Samsung's mistakes too much. For me as a developer, having such a problem in a phone that costs a lot of money is absolutely not justifiable. After this latest purchase of the s20, I too was convinced to switch to Apple. I made the purchase 2 days ago and in a few more days I will get the new phone. I just hope to be able to resell this s20 at an acceptable price. If Samsung fails with its top-of-the-line product (and they justify the cost for that reason) I don't want to imagine the quality of the other products.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
my S20 GPS is completely unreliable. Whenever I open my compass it need to be recalibrated. Every time I do, the direction is soon unreliable. today I recalibrated and South was actually a full 180 degrees from North after the recalibration.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Temporary Solution for Google Maps

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was able to find a temporary solution for getting Google Maps to work by going back to the factory version of Google Maps and disabling auto updates for the app in the Google Play Store. To revert back to the factory version go to Settings>Apps>Maps and press the button with three little cirlces which should give you an option to uninstal updates. You will also have to go to the app in the Play Store, then click the three little circles in the top right corned and disable auto updates. The factory version of Maps should be 10.36.5.

I have an unlocked S20 with Verizon as carrier.

I hope this helps some of you.

20201028_165615[1].jpg20201028_165829[1].jpg20201028_165848[1].jpgScreenshot_20201028-165755_Settings[1].jpg

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did this and it didn't do anything. I wanted to start to Uber drive again here and there, but I can't. Turn the app on, get a call for a ride and when the GPS goes on, boom, no network data. And Samsung hasn't offered.any solutions at all other than a factory reset. 

$1200 paperweight is all this thing is

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry this didn't work for you. I'm not an expert so the only thing I can suggest  is double check the maps version is 10.36.5. It's possible that Samsung updates the factory version as updates for maps comes out, so the factory version on your phone might be the buggy one. There could be other factors like phone variant, service provider or other hardware differences as to why this solution didn't work for you. I have the standard S20, unlocked, purchasd in the US.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
issue started popping up for me a week ago, applied latest update, worked for a few days and now not working again. seems to lose my gps every few minutes and while I've been on a long road trip, this has been worrying and extremely unsafe. have been a samsung phone user for years now, like many of you, but thinking of switching due to a major issue like this