cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Major GPS issues with new Galaxy S20

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same problem.  Exactly as others have described.  Phone one-week old.  Called Samsung, as it's under warranty.  Man said he had no records of such a problem with the S20.  He told me to go to a local repair shop, and that they could diagnose the phone in "less than five minutes."  I asked if i could just send it back for a new one, and he said I could send it in (at my expense) but not get it back for "one to two weeks."  I went to the repair place, which just bad-mouthed Samsung up and down.  There was no record that they could see of my call.  They said they could diagnose my phone, but it would take up to four hours.   She then basically told me that unless their diagnostic software found a fault with the hardware, all they could do is give the phone back to me with no changes.  I then went to T-Mobile, where I had device protection.  I bought the phone direct from Samsung, but the T-Mobile version, so it was already on my account.  At T-Mobile they said they could replace the phone, as it was within 14 days of purchase, but that I would have to pay a $50 restock fee.  After the 14 days, he said it could be replaced under the protection plan, but it would be replaced with a refurbished phone.  He then got on-line and read how many people were having this same problem.  He said to wait and see if a software patch comes out soon to fix the problem.  Otherwise, he said to return before the 14 days were up and he could talk to his manager (who was not there) about waiving the restock fee.  I am MOST mad at Samsung for taking no responsiblity for a BRAND-NEW flagship phone.  

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Samsung_VgjFdKS wrote:

I am having the same problem.  Exactly as others have described.  Phone one-week old.  Called Samsung, as it's under warranty.  Man said he had no records of such a problem with the S20.  He told me to go to a local repair shop, and that they could diagnose the phone in "less than five minutes."  I asked if i could just send it back for a new one, and he said I could send it in (at my expense) but not get it back for "one to two weeks."  I went to the repair place, which just bad-mouthed Samsung up and down.  There was no record that they could see of my call.  They said they could diagnose my phone, but it would take up to four hours.   She then basically told me that unless their diagnostic software found a fault with the hardware, all they could do is give the phone back to me with no changes.  I then went to T-Mobile, where I had device protection.  I bought the phone direct from Samsung, but the T-Mobile version, so it was already on my account.  At T-Mobile they said they could replace the phone, as it was within 14 days of purchase, but that I would have to pay a $50 restock fee.  After the 14 days, he said it could be replaced under the protection plan, but it would be replaced with a refurbished phone.  He then got on-line and read how many people were having this same problem.  He said to wait and see if a software patch comes out soon to fix the problem.  Otherwise, he said to return before the 14 days were up and he could talk to his manager (who was not there) about waiving the restock fee.  I am MOST mad at Samsung for taking no responsiblity for a BRAND-NEW flagship phone.  

Most likely a software bug, wouldn't waste all that time going to stores and repair shops and exchanging, new one will probably have the same issue.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same response to me. Apparently, they didn't record your or my reporting of the issue as "reported."

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just got my S20+, I have not noticed thus error in either Google maps or Waze, my 2 navigation map apos.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userwnpnTJ5pZo wrote:

I just got my S20+, I have not noticed thus error in either Google maps or Waze, my 2 navigation map apos.

Give it time. I didn't have the issue right away either. Then after about 2 weeks it went to he11.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just got my S20 + and having the exact GPS issue on Maps & Waze

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I chatted with a Samsung support person via the chat option on the website.  They had me calibrate my GPS from the Edge menu.  Note that on my phone I first had to enable the edge menu.  Once enabled swipe left to bring out the menu, and most importantly go to the little dots in the lower left and swipe again to get the "second level" edge menu (or second page).  Poor UI but it's there- a second page that has "Calibarate" Tally Counter, Flashlight, Surface level and Ruler.  Choose Calibrate and move phone in a figure 8 to calibrate.  I will retest out in the field and report back.

Note that on some carriers (not verizon) you can enter *#0*#, then tap Sensor, then Selftest under magnetic sensor and ensure it says "Pass".  Fingers crossed!

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I believe this calibrates the compass but not GPS.  I don't think GPS can be calibrated. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The above did not fix the problem.  I also did a system reset without restoring my previous phone backup so it was plain "stock", and the problem still exists on occasion.  Mysteriously gps will work for hours, then suddenly stop.  I think it's time to give up and return it for another type of phone.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I called Samsung support and they claimed that they haven't heard of this issue.  Sent the Tech multiple weblinks with customers GPS issues.  He still told me to bring it to a Samsung service center.  Which I already did before the call.  Service center said that they'll have to reload Android OS which will wipe my phone.  I said no thanks, I've already perform a factory reset twice.  My recommendation is to all of us call Samsung support and report it so they're forced to provide a software update sooner than later.  Just like with all new devices, there will be bugs like this.  Hopefully they can fix this soon.