JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Message Categories are kinda busted

(Topic created: 05-01-2020 02:19 PM)
CellyTheDork
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

When i found out i could create Message categories i was actually pretty excited to see how it worked. Nothing else really does that, so i wanted to give it a shot, y'know?

First rodeo. I make one, add the contacts and miss one. I then realise i seem to be unable to add more to the category. I try to remove the category, nothing.

In doing so, i deleted all my main conversations thinking it works simply remove them from those extra categories- nope. That's my fault, but i still think that if there's no obvious deletion method- if any at all- it stands to reason that that would be the next course of action to figuring it out. But in doing so, potentially important messages in your most important conversations will be gone.

Basically; no way to delete categories, no way to add contacts you miss. A great idea on paper, in execution not so much, which is sad as i really liked that idea.

25 Replies
userRA3zJn8Paf
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I had the same issue and learned the hard way that it deletes the whole thread smh. But I found out how to add a conversation any time after. If you open the text thread and click on the 3 dots in the corner you will see categories. That let's you place them or take them out. I'm still looking for a way to delete a category as well. Hope this helped 

userre0F6uyB3t
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I, too, found out the hard way, lol. Hoping to find a way to delete those catagories, as well as a way to sort them in an order other than in order if creation...

CellyTheDork
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Yeah. Just found that out recently too. It's so hidden away that it's ridiculous. Why? Most other apps just have a pencil icon that allows you to shift things around easily.

0 Likes
Samsung_oE1P4zC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I had the same issue and deleted all my threads as well. Now, I can't delete categories, but you can turn them off.

0 Likes
Solution
uservo0ddXvcwJ
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

To delete the category: go to the category you want to delete, long press on any message in that category, then select every message in that category, at the bottom of screen it will say remove from category, hit remove from category and then it will ask you do you also want to delete the category - that is how you delete the entire category

tntfe84
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

This was good info. 

0 Likes
userdDf3wbEzQT
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

OMG This!!!!!! I finally got rid of those categories THANK YOU!!!!!!

0 Likes
user_d54t35hr
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

THANK YOU!!! I have literally been looking all over setting and Google search for a way to delete these categories! It seemed like a cool feature but I thought it was going to be more for organization purposes. 

0 Likes
KD7CAO
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

This thread sort of helped me figure out the problem. I had a different issue, I mistyped a category name and could not figure out how to rename or delete the category. What I discovered purely by accident is that the settings you need to rename or delete a category do not appear unless you are on the "All" category in Messages. Once you are in the "All" category sleect the three dots, press settings, click on the words "Conversation categories" then you can click "edit" then you can rename or delete. Why you can not do this by just pressing and holding on a category name or from the settings in that category is beyond me.