cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Missing Menu Options On Galaxy S20 Ultra Unlocked. Unable To Change Network Mode

I just got my Note 20 Ultra 5G unlocked  (I'm using it with my ATT service currently) and was wondering if I got 5G in my area, and if 5G was even turned on since I only saw LTE on my radio icon on the top status.

I have seen everywhere that I am supposed to goto settings, Connections, Mobile Networks, and then select Network Mode to select 3G 4G 5G or whatever. But on my phone, there is no such menu option.

All I have is the option to turn mobile data on or off. And another radio button if I will allow 2G service in areas where I can't find better. That's it.

Now tonight, the first night with this phone, I finally see some 5G, but obviously I am either too far from the tower, or something else is wrong, because when it goes to 5G my speeds do not increase by 50X they decrease by 100X. So I'm hoping I am just in a 5G shadow, and its trying unsuccessfuly to get a better 5G connection. The problem is I live here. Now that I know that 5G is possible, I know I do not need to turn it on. Now the problem is I need to find a way to turn it off. my 4G is not great, but at least it works. It's about 10 MBPS. DL and several MBPS up. 5G in comparison is only like .02 DL .

So does anybody know why MY phone is the only Note 20 that doesn't have the one fricken control I need. And is there any other way to get to the radio selection coding if not thru the UI.

My guesses are that it may have to do with it being unlocked, although I don't know why they wouldn't offer INCREASED tweakability not less with an unlocked phone. 

There HAS to be a way to access radio controls and be able to select or deselect 5G.

Very frustrating after I bought this flagship expensive phone, discovered my perfectly adequate data service didn't get served 5G so I had to upgrade my subscription to a more expensive plan that does.

And now when the servers finally sync'd and I have a 5G icon, sometimes, it is so incredibly slow that it for all practical purposes STOPS my data rather than giving me more speed. And icing on the cake, I can't turn it off.

Please help.

Databyter

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Missing Menu Options On Galaxy S20 Ultra Unlocked. Unable To Change Networ..

it might not be available in your area. I know when I got mine today they had to put in the new sim card that allowed my phone access to TMobile's 5G network and when I check my settings as you illustrate it is listed.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Missing Menu Options On Galaxy S20 Ultra Unlocked. Unable To Change Networ..

Well I did see the 5G icon in my connection status top bar, so I assume it is available in my area, plus the coverage map shows I clearly should have it. But like you I suspect my Sim card is last generation, so I have ordered another one. It still seems that despite all this my "network type" menu option should be there regardless.  Databyter

Highlighted
Astronaut

try reaching out to AT&T and ask if they have a signal booster available for your home. Tmobile did this for me.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Not a bad idea. It doesn't solve the menu question, but if the 5G works, I won't need to find a way to turn it off. (My current option after wasting all this money for SLOWER service, is to simply go back to my perfectly adequate NON 5G 9gb plan for 62 dollars a month out the door. Databyter

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Missing Menu Options On Galaxy S20 Ultra Unlocked. Unable To Change Network Mode

I've never seen that menu option on my unlocked devices on AT&T. This includes a Note 10+, S20 Ultra, and now the Note 20 Ultra. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Missing Menu Options On Galaxy S20 Ultra Unlocked. Unable To Change Network Mode

So you think it is only the service provider married devices that have this option. That seems backwards. I buy unlocked so I have MORE options, not less. I still suspect there is a code, or possibly an app,  that will let me get below the level of the UI and take control of my device. I'm not sure this is why, but it had occurred to me too. It doesn't make sense, but it is consistent. Most people do not buy unlocked. Most people do not have this issue.  It may be the answer.  Databyter

Highlighted
Constellation

Mine does not have the option either