cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

Mobile Hotspot problems

I have the Galaxy S20, my girlfriend has an IPhone 12. Whenever we stream Netflix or Disney+, it streams just fine on her iPhone hotspot, but when we use my S20 nothing will load. I can get to the menu screens, but when we select to watch, it won't load. However I can play video games online just fine. We have the same carrier and data plan, so I don't understand why there is such a big difference in performance. Is there something I can do to fix this?

11 REPLIES 11
Astronaut

Re: Mobile Hotspot problems

I suggest you call your carrier to help resolve this problem because I use two phones on the same plan also. One is the note 20 and the other is the iPhone 12 pro. I don't have a problem using either Hotspot for the other phone. Call your provider. Maybe something in the settings needs adjusting.
Cosmic Ray

so you're using your S20 as a hotspot to watch Netflix and Disney on something else that's connected to your phone? Maybe check to see if either of those apps will run directly on the S20. if they run properly on the S20, I wonder if you're having the same issue with your hotspot as I am and a bunch of other people here over the past few months -- the other devices connect to the hotspot but the S20 doesn't share the internet with them?
Asteroid

The apps run on the phone, but we would rather watch them on the tv. But it isn't just the tv, it's our computers, too. We went to the Verizon store yeserday. They told us it is because the hardware in the phone for hotspot is better in the iPhone than in the Samsung, which kinda surprised me. The guy at the Verizon store equated it as iPhone being a semi tractor trailer and Samsung being a small car, both trying to haul the same large cargo and Samsung struggling to keep up. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

@useruc3fGmmWdL wrote:

...They told us it is because the hardware in the phone for hotspot is better in the iPhone than in the Samsung, which kinda surprised me. The guy at the Verizon store equated it as iPhone being a semi tractor trailer and Samsung being a small car, both trying to haul the same large cargo and Samsung struggling to keep up. 

Probably because they are getting incentives to push the iPhones over other devices. Needless to say, that description is incorrect. 

Asteroid

That's how our phones are acting right now. The explaination seems to fit, unless verizon is purposefully throttling back the internet hotspot on Samsung phones. If the guy is lying to us to push iPhones, why is his hotspot not working? How can we fix it?

Samsung Care Ambassador

@useruc3fGmmWdL wrote:

That's how our phones are acting right now. The explaination seems to fit, unless verizon is purposefully throttling back the internet hotspot on Samsung phones. If the guy is lying to us to push iPhones, why is his hotspot not working? How can we fix it?

Hotspot is a feature enabled and controlled by your carrier. If they haven't configured your S20 account properly, the hotspot can definitely be affected. 

Have you tried clearing the cache partition on your device? 

Asteroid

No. How do I do that?

Samsung Care Ambassador

@useruc3fGmmWdL wrote:

No. How do I do that?

To wipe the cache partition:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby / Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message may show briefly before the Android Recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Bixby / Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight Yes, then press the Bixby / Power key to select.
  8. When the process is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Bixby / Power key to restart the device.
Asteroid

We gave this a try, but no change. I think we will just have to accept the way it is.