Original topic:

Multiple Connectivity Issues

(Topic created on: 3/11/21 7:23 AM)
userQ1rgc8i8Az
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Unfortunately I have found nothing that accurately sums up or even comes close to solving the issues I have. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that these issues will remain unfixed and I will be getting a new phone at some point, leaving Samsung behind, but I'm posting this here in case someone has some useful input other than "hAvE yOu TriED reeeeeStArtiNG uR FoNE?"

Some background on the phone: I got it in August 2020 with OneUI (the most overrated android skin of all time) 2.5 installed. It's been well looked after and never dropped and it runs on two networks (one physical microSIM and one eSIM). The problems I have (which I have never had on any other phone I've ever owned) are as follows:

1. Text messages received containing images through the network with mobile data not enabled at the time do not download and require the data connection to be manually switched over to download. This was not an issue when I got the phone, but just started at a random point in time. The upgrade to OneUI 3.0 and then to 3.1 did not solve the problem.
  2. Connectivity to mobile networks is quite poor, despite the displayed signal strength. When passing through areas of poor signal strength and the mobile data connection drops out (I can still make calls and texts), when returning to an area of known signal quality, the phone fails to reconnect the mobile data, which stops important push notifications coming through indefinitely. The only way around this is to cycle flight mode on the phone. Due to the persistence of the issue, it cannot be a carrier problem. This started happened after the upgrade to OneUI 3.1.
  3. When connected to my home WiFi network, the connection is regularly interrupted. It does not drop out, but it seems to lose connection to the internet. The connection remains in a state of no throughput indefinitely and the only way to solve the problem is to cycle the WiFi state at which point normal connectivity returns for anywhere between 5 to 60 minutes when it needs to be cycled again. It happens most notably when there is high bandwidth usage; it rarely drops out when in standby, but has been known to. The upgrade to OneUI 3.0 and then to 3.1 did not solve the problem.
  4. The battery life is surprisingly poor despite OneUI's aggressive "battery management" which is just non stop app culling. I have all background resource-hogging social media apps in deep sleep, but despite minimal usage, the phone will struggle to make it through the day. Despite the other points, this one is a deal breaker on its own, which leads me to a side point: why is OneUI's battery and power consumption information so poor? There is very little useful information and is way behind absolutely ANY other android skin.

It should be noted that I have reset the network settings on my phone, which has solved exactly NONE of the above listed problems and as for my WiFi network, yes I get good signal coverage all over my house, yes the modem/router firmware is up to date, and no, none of the other devices connected to the network are experiencing problems.

Can't wait for my next non-Samsung phone! :)

7 Replies
Patriot1776JG
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S20
You could try network reset

From settings > General management > Reset > Reset Network Settings

FYI: this should help, but understand this will uninstall your wifi, & Bluetooth devices. Afterwards you will need to re install them.

If that's a NO GO, then I would suggest you contact your carrier, and get a replacement SIM card
0 Likes
userQ1rgc8i8Az
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Reply disregarded; you clearly did not read the post. Thanks for your time.

0 Likes
Deshell
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
o did as suggested and I'm still having issues not being connected to a network. Reset network twice.
Not sure what what's next. I guess I may try a Apple, anything better than whats happening now.
I said I didn't was to upgrade to Galaxy s21 it appears Samsung is forcing me to because of the issues I'm having.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@userQ1rgc8i8Az 

While booted in safe mode do you still see this same issues? 

0 Likes
ToNyTime
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I thank you for your post sir. It would seem that I am experiencing the same issues with the same frustration. i have received several new Sim cards from my carrier and have even received a warranty replacement on a phone I never dropped. unfortunately this phone is experiencing the same issues and with all proper setting enabled my phone goes straight to voicemail even with wifi calling. connection is very poor! Short of receiving a replacement when the issues begin building to a more and more frequent occurrence every 30-60 days I believe there is nothing more that can be done. I wonder if this is an AI problem as it builds over time where no issues occure and 100% when first set up with rapid deterioration. The original S20 purchased got to the point that it was not a phone it was a browsing device only. It seems I'm soon back to that point with this phone too and with 12 months to go. Regret this decision and feeling as you that common responses for resolution.

Does anyone have a suggestion on who could provide a solution? The carrier insists this must be hardware but what's the chances multi phones in a row with the same progression of annoyance with weak connectivity and signal strenghth?
0 Likes
userR60sMa99xY
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm having very similar issues on my Note 8,
Samsung seems to not care so, I am a li zobkwaving Samsungs products behind
0 Likes
SamsungQue
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S20

I would like to look into this issue further for you. Can you send me a private message using this link here? (http://bit.ly/2HP0oRi) Provide the following information.

• Model number
  • Serial number
0 Likes