JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Native Visual Voicemail Not Working

(Topic created on: 11/14/20 2:11 PM)
loyrov
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Just purchased and received this S20 FE. Everything seems to be fine except for the visual voicemail that should show up as an icon on the dialer. I'm using the native Samsung dialer. 

When I searched for voicemail on my phone it came up not as an app but in settings. Saying it was installed. I couldn't find it anywhere on my phone, not even in settings > apps >  voicemail. 

I ended up finding the Samsung Voicemail app and downloading the APK. Installed and went to open and I get a "Not Supported" error message. 

I've contacted mt carrier and they say its an issue with the phone. 

I can access my voicemail by calling into it and entering my password, but Visual Voicemail is not working. Please help. 

Edit: thanks for all the replies. I'm ending up returning the device to Samsung. It's a real bummer as this was my first ever Samsung device. If I didn't rely on VM so much, it wouldn't be an issue, but I rely on it everyday so it's a deal-breaker for me.
latoplano_6_625
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S20

what carrier?

0 Likes
Members_18q1Vw0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Apparently, on an unlocked phone it only works if you are in contract to one of the three major cell service providors: AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, of you fit that situation. With any other options, Samsung has disabled this feature. Yes, it is Samsung's fault as Android/Google have a generic version of the VVM protocol and all supporting features included in the stock version of android and have since version 6, Marshmallow. If it is not working on unlocked Samsung devices, it is because it has been intentionally disabled or the code has been removed on Samsung's version of Android. I have talked about this with Google and they have comfirmed to me that Google provides all phone manufacturers with a version of Android in which it is available, so if it is not available, it has been intentionally disabled by the phone manufacturer. In addition, I was told by 2 different contacts at Google and saw in an almost year old video on YouTube about problems with the Galaxy S20, that according to Google, they have contacted Samsung about this and Samsung is supposed to be fixing it.

At anyrate, your company has earned a permanent grudge from me over this issue, as I have already sent my Galaxy S20 5G back to Google for a refund and have no intention to EVER buy another Samsung product for the rest of my life, because VVM not working is a total deal breaker for me. I also do NOT like being lied to by a company and clearly Samsung's Company response is that this is not their fault. It's Google's fault because it's not an included feature that is built into Android, and it is the responsibility of the Cell Service providors to supply the software needed for it to work. This is a blatant lie, as I have had 4 other Android Devices since 2014, every single one of them unlocked and it has worked by default in all of them. Two of them were pure stock android devices: The Nexus 5x and the Moto X4, Android One edition. I refuse to go back to having to actually call into voicemail to check it after 6 years of being able to use VVM, so that is the deal breaker that has me returning my phone, and Samsung customer support telling me lies about it earns the grudge that will keep me from ever doing business with Samsung again.

I really don't get why the sleaziest, most dishonest companies tend to be the leaders in the phone biz. I thought Samsung was better than Apple, but clearly you are both a lot more alike than I realized.

userHqV9mwdlu4
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Yeah pretty frustrating.  When you find the app in the galaxy store like you said it "not compatable" currently with its respective error which is frustrating... think they would have checked that one off early.  Also can't activate google's visual voicemail in their phone app either...

userKyGEI7fSRd
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I don't have any issues with Google's Visual Voicemail on the Pixel 3 XL. 

0 Likes
loyrov
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Not true. Also have a pixel 3 and no issues with it.

0 Likes
userLqjFv8DeNZ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I actually really miss my Google Pixel 2XL after upgrading to the S20 FE on black Friday :(  This is only one of the dumb thing I'm discovering about the S20 FE.  Looking forward to switching back.

0 Likes
RodL420
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
first Samsung phone....same issue with my Samsung S8. have to dial in to check voicemail. My carrier is Xfinity/Comcast
latoplano_6_625
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S20

i think you would have to talk to your carrier and enable the visual voicemail. at least for verizon, i have to call and turn it on.

0 Likes
userzcF7LwBTHF
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

The Xfinity VM app (which had visual VM) is not supported anymore. It directs you to your device installed VM app. This is new on new devices. I just upgraded to a Note 20 Ultra from a Note 9 and my Xfinity VM app worked on my old phone, but is not compatible with this new phone.

0 Likes
userxdFh8beOX1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
I have tried to do that but XFINITY wireless was unable to do it. This is an error on Samsung's end. Even Samsung wasn't able to do it remotely.
0 Likes