JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Native Visual Voicemail Not Working

(Topic created on: 10/6/20 8:31 PM)
loyrov
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Just purchased and received this S20 FE. Everything seems to be fine except for the visual voicemail that should show up as an icon on the dialer. I'm using the native Samsung dialer. 

When I searched for voicemail on my phone it came up not as an app but in settings. Saying it was installed. I couldn't find it anywhere on my phone, not even in settings > apps >  voicemail. 

I ended up finding the Samsung Voicemail app and downloading the APK. Installed and went to open and I get a "Not Supported" error message. 

I've contacted mt carrier and they say its an issue with the phone. 

I can access my voicemail by calling into it and entering my password, but Visual Voicemail is not working. Please help. 

Edit: thanks for all the replies. I'm ending up returning the device to Samsung. It's a real bummer as this was my first ever Samsung device. If I didn't rely on VM so much, it wouldn't be an issue, but I rely on it everyday so it's a deal-breaker for me.
JUMP TO SOLUTION
27 Replies
hulk_overstand
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I was vexxed by the missing native Visual Voicemail app, too. I found that when my first voicemail was left for me, I got a notification that prompted download/installation of the native app from the Galaxy Store. (It even said "Update" after acknowledging the prompt, even though there was no trace of an installed app prior to the prompt.)

I bought an Amazon Renewed SM-G970U1 (factory unlocked) with Samsung's Visual Voicemail already installed (from Settings>Apps, I found that it was downloaded from the Galaxy Store). I had to replace that phone with another SM-G970U1 because of a faulty earpiece. Maddeningly, the replacement didn't have Visual Voicemail installed (it was greyed out in my Nova Launcher home screen, after the Samsung Smart Switch process), and it couldn't be found in the Galaxy Store. Needing to remedy this deal-breaker, I installed Google's "Phone" app from the Play Store, since that has visual voicemail capability. Fortunately, after leaving myself a voicemail to test Google's app, I had a notification prompt to install the Galaxy Store's "native" app. Just like that, the formerly greyed icon was colorized; I connected to mobile data, and the app populated with the voicemail just as it should.

I guess the first phone had Visual Voicemail because the previous owner installed it prior to factory resetting. I don't know why that wasn't the case with the replacement. FWIW, I use the Verizon network on the Ting MVNO.

@loyrov

0 Likes
userKzhGxpoXSO
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I had this same problem with an LG unlocked phone, and now with my new S20 FE. The odd thing about this is that I've had Motorola unlocked phones as well as the Essential PH-1, and there never was a problem with the visual voicemail.

Here's the easiest solution: Get a Google Voice phone number, set up conditional call forwarding for your carrier, and be sure to set the proper settings in the Google Voice app. The app will allow you to listen to voicemails, read a transcript, and you can also get transcripts sent to your email. Sometimes the transcripts have hilarious errors, but all in all, using Google Voice to handle voicemail is an excellent solution, and gives you some of the features, for for no additional cost, that you would have to pay your carrier for. The important setting on Google Voice to to turn on Do Not Disturb. When this is on, and your carrier forwards the call to Google Voice, it will immediately go to voicemail instead of ringing a few more times.

0 Likes
userTFsDGGyew7
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

You can only do this if you are in the US. I live in Germany with Vodafone and am completely SOL. I should have purchased an iPhone instead.

First time switching, want to go back. Getting calendars, email accounts, and contacts to sync was a nightmare, don't use the outlook app, use the native Samsung apps. Then notifications are bizzare, they work better on iPhone. Useless phone for work and business.

Give these to your kids and invest in the iPhone.

0 Likes
Melanieh
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I have the same issue
latoplano_6_625
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S20

what carrier?

have you contacted carrier?? i believe voicemail is controlled by the carrier.

0 Likes
userxdFh8beOX1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm having the same issue with a Note 20 ultra 5g 512gb, unlocked and operated on XFINITY wireless on Verizon towers. There is no option for visual voicemail at all with this phone. Xfinity's version of VVM gets overridden by the stock application. It can't be removed and it won't allow other VVM applications to be used the default.
This appears to be a Samsung problem, I have had them do remote access work on the phone and they failed to accomplish anything. Xfinity's VVM worked perfectly with my Note 8 but the Note 20 ultra is a hot mess that Samsung needs to fix. I have paid less for cars than I have paid for this phone. This is unacceptable. Shame on you Samsung.
Members_0bEDO22
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Will there be visual voicemail when the Galaxy S20 gets Android 12?

0 Likes
userqzujo7FvNk
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I have an S20 FE. I keep getting a notification that there is "activity on my voicemail." I click and it tries to set up but fails and tells me to contact support. I'm ok not having VVM, but how can I stop it from giving me the notification to take an action?

0 Likes