cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

New S20+ and google maps freeze up

Upgraded my S10 to a S20+ and now when I use google map directions, my google maps app "freezes" at random times.  Other than that the phone is usable but the only way to get maps working again is to reboot the phone and re-enter directions.  Google maps doesn't "crash" it just "freezes" so on a 2000 mile driving trip we missed a few turns before we realized the chevron was no longer moving.

My S20+ is current with updates as is my Google Maps.  Any ideas on what to try?  I'd like to try an earlier version of maps, is it possible to get an older version to see if that is the issue?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: New S20+ and google maps freeze up

why don't you try a different map I have waze ony phone and sometimes I open both including nav In my car.
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Happens on both my S20 Plus and my wife's S20, and it's incredibly frustrating. Seems to be happening more frequently lately, and it causes some awkward/dangerous situations while driving. Unacceptable for phones this expensive.
Highlighted
Asteroid

I could try a different map but why should I?  Google maps is very integrated in much of what I do on other devices and it.should.just.work, right?  I know Samsung support won't be of much help, I've never had any real luck with them before... All they want you to do is reboot or factory reset.  I started with a Galaxy S4 and had almost every generation up to the S20+ but, I agree, too expensive to have an issue like this. For me, I'm pretty sure I'm moving from Samsung anything to something else next phone.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have also been experiencing this same problem over the last week or so. After the first couple of turns it freezes. Closing all background apps including maps doesn't seem to work either. Restarting my phone works sometimes, mostly after two restarts. It's frustrating when I'm in the middle of nowhere and maps chooses to act up like this. It happened yesterday when I was in an unfamiliar area and missed a couple of turns. Please fix!

Highlighted

Which carrier do you have?

Highlighted
Asteroid

We use Tmobile and were/are in a Tmobile area/city when this happens. Data and phone signal is great.

Highlighted

what's your software version?

Highlighted
Asteroid

As I mentioned in the original post, current.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Same here, Tmobile with an S20.  Samsing user for years, can no longer use Google Maps due to the app randomly freezing