JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New volume slider struggle

(Topic created on: 2/24/21 3:03 PM)
Potter4077
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I recently (finally) went ahead and upgraded to UI 3.0 on my S20+, and I'm having a hard time with the new volume controls.

By default, when I press the volume buttons, it adjusts the media volume, even if nothing is playing. I disabled the option to control media volume by default, but it doesn't affect anything. Is there any other way to make it control ringtone or notification sound by default?

Also, I can't seem to disable vibrate by using the volume sliders. The only way to do this is going into phone settings to disable it (which is far from convenient) or use the "do not disturb" setting. That does a lot more than I need. Why can't I use the volume slider to disable vibrate, like I used to do? It would be helpful in scenarios where I need 100% phone silence, especially when someone is blowing my phone up and it doesn't stop vibrating loudly.

Overall, I much prefer the old volume sliders and wish I could go back to that. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, right? Seems it's all broken now. Any feedback (or further opinions on the volume slider) is appreciated.
6 Replies
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

Here are a couple of tips which might help some.

To have volume keys work "ringer volume" (and not media)  two ways to go there: one is through settings which takes a tad longer;  otherwise, click on side volume key/ 3 horizontal dots, top right corner/gear knob/     - - make sure "use volume keys for media" is turned off. - - That "should" take care of it.

To turn off vibrate as well as ringer easily, pull down quick tools (swipe from top edge);  press speaker button twice, and everthing is off...   toggles bewtween ringer, virate & off.   

That should be quick & easy for you.    Good luck!

Be sure to click  " ✓ Accept as Solution"  when you find an answer that works for you. - Thanks!

Potter4077
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Thank you.

Unfortunately, the "use volume keys for media" option seems defective, as the buttons control media volume no matter what :frowning_face: This must be a bug.

I did find the speaker volume button you mentioned. That does help a lot, thank you. Additionally, I would love if there was a way to have that kind of control for specifically the notification sounds, while leaving the ringer on in case of an emergency. I am "on call" at my job and almost never want to mess with my ringer volume, but I definitely don't always want the sound/vibration from notifications. It seems that I have to dive into the settings to have that sort of control, however.

Hoping the options we used to have make a return...:crossed_fingers:
0 Likes
Hnwhite73
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm assuming there isn't an option to change it back to the old format in the dropdown menu? I really dislike the updated volume controls design, to the point where I'm considering switching away from Samsung. Anyone know if there is a way to change it back?
EenieBoop
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm with you on this... but apparently Samsung doesn't care
Solution
SamsungQue
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S20

Thank you for your interest in sharing your ideas with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedbacks, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

View solution in context

0 Likes
SamsungQue
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S20

An Accepted Solution has been marked and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. If you have a separate concern, feel free to post again or send one of our moderators a private message with more details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find resolutions and needed content. Remember that if you do make a post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring with your product. Thank you for being part of the community!

0 Likes